AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks Extension Policy

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I've noticed over the past week a few ads that are displaying with sitelinks where the sitelink goes to the same url that is the destination url of the ad.

Doesn't this go against sitelink policy?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Re: Sitelinks Extension Policy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Whim,

Welcome to AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

SiteLink allows to users to directly land on different landing page from the ad text.

According to the Enhanced campaign policy, every sitelink requires different landing page, means you are sending users to the relevant and meaningful page.

Thus using the same landing page in different sitelink is against the SiteLink policy.

Please follow the below link for more info:-

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1054210?hl=en
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

So, is everyone now ported over to enhanced campaigns?
If they are - how is this policy being enforced as it would seem some are slipping thru the cracks of any automated checks that are in place

The other thing i have noticed too is advertisers using a different url for a sitelink however the landing page content is exactly the same content as landing page for the main ad destination url

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You are reffering to this phrase in the policy "We also don't allow sitelinks that direct to the same landing page as the ad's destination URL."

Maybe they use a redirect in the sitelink and the URL seems different to the bots but for the user it becomes the same as the ad's destination URL. Like Ads which violate different policies , it looks like someone found a way to "trick the system" until they get caught.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Ok so where should it be reported to?

Reason I ask is because I have seen this occur with 3 different advertiser's ads within the same industry in less than a 24hr period
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It looks like this form is what you need :

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/feedback

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thank you :-)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Bronwyn V ;

If you have cases of violation of the "duplicate sitelinks" clause of the Policy ;can you upload a screenshot? We can escalate to Google;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@MosheTLV 

I did report the violations. The report form doesnt allow for screenshots

I have done screenshots, however I dont really want to upload it here to the public forum.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When I report this stuff in my country I give Google short links to printscreens from a site like this http://prntscr.com/