AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelink Extension Limits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I want to expand my use of sitelink extensions. Google have a limit on the amount I can use (see below)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2954783?hl=en

Here are the account limits for extensions:

• 100,000 active ad extensions per account
  • 10,000 ad group references to ad extensions per account
  • 10,000 campaign references to ad extensions per account

I have 800,000 Ads in 400,000 Ad Groups split across 1500 Campaigns.

Ideally I would like up to 4 sitelink extensions to appear in each Ad - but I can't work out whether the limits will allow it (don't think they will) - I don't mind if they need to be applied at Campaign or Ad Groups level.

Could anyone offer me some advice on how best/whether it is possible to implement this without exceeding the limits described above?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author stwilsons
September 2015

Re: Sitelink Extension Limits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks

I do use Product Listing Ads for all eligible products - they have been very successful
I'm quite nervous about using Dynamic Search Ads - may introduce them gradually alongside keyword based ads
I work full time on this Account so maintaining Keyword lists, Ad Testing etc don't get neglected
I do use seller rating extensions but I also want to be able to use sitelink extensions in all Ads
Regarding the sitelinks being the same there are around 20 that I want to use in different combinations - one of them 'Christmas Store' would be in all Ads
The valuetrack post is interesting reading - thanks - but the issue I have is this limit specifically

100,000 active ad extensions per account
10,000 ad group references to ad extensions per account
10,000 campaign references to ad extensions per account

Was I just missing something really obvious - If I put 4 sitelinks in each of my 1500 Campaigns then that would only be 6000 campaign references to ad extensions. - Is this right - Have I just answered my own question?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Well...I have a completely different question. How can you effectively manage that big account? Isn't it time to consolidate the adgroups/ ads?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
It is rather cumbersome.

The site I run the Account for sells 100,000+ different products each product has a broad, exact & phrase Ad Group - the remainder of the Ad Groups are made up of non product specific and brand keywords.

In terms of a potential account restructure - this is not something that can be considered at the moment as our busiest 3 months of the year approach.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

That is one million dollar account. So you have around 2 Ads per Ad group and around 260 ad groups per campaign. 

Have you thought of simplifying this huge structure by using Dynamic Search Ads or Product listing Ads ?

Distribution question : are those 4 sitelinks going to be the same per Ad Group or per Campaign by any chance ?

Here is a dynamic solution for getting to use less sitelinks by switching the destination URL with value track :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Using-ValueTrack-To-Generate-Dynamically-Chang...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author stwilsons
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks

I do use Product Listing Ads for all eligible products - they have been very successful
I'm quite nervous about using Dynamic Search Ads - may introduce them gradually alongside keyword based ads
I work full time on this Account so maintaining Keyword lists, Ad Testing etc don't get neglected
I do use seller rating extensions but I also want to be able to use sitelink extensions in all Ads
Regarding the sitelinks being the same there are around 20 that I want to use in different combinations - one of them 'Christmas Store' would be in all Ads
The valuetrack post is interesting reading - thanks - but the issue I have is this limit specifically

Was I just missing something really obvious - If I put 4 sitelinks in each of my 1500 Campaigns then that would only be 6000 campaign references to ad extensions. - Is this right - Have I just answered my own question?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
with all those ads, how much do you spend per day? am completely impressed coz i have two campaigns only with a max of 20 ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Probably not as much as you think - many of the products are quite niche and Actual CPC is only 9/10 pence

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"Was I just missing something really obvious - If I put 4 sitelinks in each of my 1500 Campaigns then that would only be 6000 campaign references to ad extensions. "

Yes I think you have answered yourself. Referrences are like pointers in programming. A refferenced audience in a campaign will display its own campaign level statistics.

The interesting thing is , if this data limit is up to :

What is the fate of the remaining 80.000 active extensions which you cannot asign to ad groups or campaigns ? Is this 100.000 limit created just to allow the system to keep 80.000 old sitelinks over time because you cannot delete extensions once they are created ?