AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Site Redesign w/ New Links...ah!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are currently switching shopping cart software as the site is under a redesign. Most links will change to apparently become more seo-friendly (links including products pages, brand, category, etc). I've been told by our webmaster and the tech support w/ the new shopping cart company that the 301 redirects will solve the problem in terms of switching out new links and loosing historical data.

Has anyone undergone anything like this and can offer any insight? Do the new links just affect the historical data on the ads? Will QS and Ad Rank be affected? Do we need to consider anything else? I am waiting to here back from a google rep. Just though I'd ask this awesome community!  

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Site Redesign w/ New Links...ah!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mr Manager,

Yes, 301 redirects can mitigate loss of data, QS and AdRank. I use 301 redirects as a matter of course when changing site structure and page names. That will also help retain your organic PageRank for those same pages, and it will cause Google to update their index for organic search to point to the new page once it has been crawled after installing the 301 redirects.

At some point, you will probably want to update the destination URL's to the new ones. You don't really ever lose history. Nothing is ever truly deleted. But to compare performance between the new page and the old page, you'll need to extend the date range to include data from the old page, and you'll need to show "all ads", not just the active ones.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Site Redesign w/ New Links...ah!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mr Manager,

Yes, 301 redirects can mitigate loss of data, QS and AdRank. I use 301 redirects as a matter of course when changing site structure and page names. That will also help retain your organic PageRank for those same pages, and it will cause Google to update their index for organic search to point to the new page once it has been crawled after installing the 301 redirects.

At some point, you will probably want to update the destination URL's to the new ones. You don't really ever lose history. Nothing is ever truly deleted. But to compare performance between the new page and the old page, you'll need to extend the date range to include data from the old page, and you'll need to show "all ads", not just the active ones.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords