AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Site Audience Exclusion but no 100% New Visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to give up with this, I can't solve this and it is taking me more time than expected.

To make things short:

1) I created the audience: Users that visited site containing: "generic.com" last 30 days. (So my whole site is reached by this)

2) I added this Audience to a specific Campaign as an Audience Exclusion.

3) I waited two weeks, and when a I check the New Visitors % for last 2 days, it is around 45%.

The Campaign, is a Search Only campaign, with the enhanced mode turned on.

Tag works ok.

I think that percentage should be close to 100%, if I'm excluding everyone who reached my site before.

Thoughts about this?

Thanks a lot!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicolas F
September 2015

Re: Site Audience Exclusion but no 100% New Visitors

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Nicolas,

If you are sure that the number you are seeing are correct then there are a couple of things you can check.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have included a rule in your exclusionary list. Even if that rule seems like it should allow all pages I would suggest just adding the "all visitors" list, IE the basic, no rule list to the exclusion list instead.

I would then also ensure that the remarketing tag is on every single one of your pages and not just a few (Probably not worth checking, but you never know perhaps it is not inserted correctly on some pages)

It is also possible that a number of people are not getting added to the list for various reasons such as using programs that prevent that kind of thing etc.

Also the time frame on your list may be a factor. If it is set to 30 days then it will show to old visitors that have not been back in 30 days.

Hope these help

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes some visitors will not be included in that list. To see how many , compare the list size from Audi3nces tab to the number of unique sessions in Analytics for the same time frame.

Also if you have a large slice of traffic from mobiles , those tend to delete the cookies more often.

The RLSA audience can have a maximum time of 180 days.

Remarketing audiences  created with google analytics can't be used to exclude or target search ads, only audiences create with the AdWords tag have this feature. Again check in the Audiences tab if your excluded audience has a list size on the column for Search , not Display.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Yes, it did not work for me either, even if there are some around the forum who claim it works to exclude audiences from search to filter out returning visitors.

My work around was to add to all the search ad groups the "all visitors" audience as targeting with a bid adjustment of "Decrease=90%" to lower the bid for returning visitors to the lowest possible. Some clicks get through but not many.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Nicolas F

If I am reading your post correctly, you are using analytics to tell you % of new visitors, is that correct?

Why do you think it should be around 100%? Are people not able to get to your site organically or directly?

Have you looked specifically at paid traffic and seen the % of new visitors there? But before you do that, is that the only campaign you are running? If not then you have the same problem, filtering out the people that are coming through that specific campaign.

Could you perhaps give a few more details.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Good point Clynton M,

He should be checking just the traffic from that campaign from the AdWords reports.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm reading the New Visitors % from the Google Adwords plataform, I think this number is provided by the linked Analytics account.
I have some Ad groups in 100% of New Visits, while I have others in 15/20%,

The users can reach our site from lots of places, organic, referrals, other campaigns, but they'll be tagged, as users that visited my site. So this adds should not be appearing to them, therefore the New visit % should be close to 100%

I have lots of campaigns, and lots of ad-groups, but we chose some campaigns to run a test.

Thanks a lot for the help
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Nicolas,

If you are sure that the number you are seeing are correct then there are a couple of things you can check.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have included a rule in your exclusionary list. Even if that rule seems like it should allow all pages I would suggest just adding the "all visitors" list, IE the basic, no rule list to the exclusion list instead.

I would then also ensure that the remarketing tag is on every single one of your pages and not just a few (Probably not worth checking, but you never know perhaps it is not inserted correctly on some pages)

It is also possible that a number of people are not getting added to the list for various reasons such as using programs that prevent that kind of thing etc.

Also the time frame on your list may be a factor. If it is set to 30 days then it will show to old visitors that have not been back in 30 days.

Hope these help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot, I'll double check with my team.

Double checking if I understood the last point what you mean is:
1) John entered in my site 3 months ago and was tagged.
2) John yesterday search in google for "xxxx" and the Campaign Rule will check if he visited my site in the last 30 days.
3) John, hasn't been around recently so the Ad appears, and he clicks it.
4) Although the condition of the 30days is ok, he will not be a New User because the cookie expires after 2 years.

Is that ok?

Also I found some interest things around the internet:
If the user is logged with the Google account, it will not be included in the Audience...... Not 100% checked...but it seems like something that could impact in the % if it's true.

Someone with this info checked?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes some visitors will not be included in that list. To see how many , compare the list size from Audi3nces tab to the number of unique sessions in Analytics for the same time frame.

Also if you have a large slice of traffic from mobiles , those tend to delete the cookies more often.

The RLSA audience can have a maximum time of 180 days.

Remarketing audiences  created with google analytics can't be used to exclude or target search ads, only audiences create with the AdWords tag have this feature. Again check in the Audiences tab if your excluded audience has a list size on the column for Search , not Display.