AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Similar keywords, different ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a problem with a campaign, and I am basically having an issue with the actual ads that are being shown to users. I ended up manually adding negative keywords so certain ads wouldn't show up with specific keywords but I feel there must be an easier (and easier to maintain) way to do this.

Say for example, I am trying to sell drills. There's a lot of people searching for both drill and drills. I have a page for that, where I list the type of drills, explain why one is better than the other, and show the most purchased drills.

However, for those looking for Black&Decker drills, or maybe DeWALT drills, I also have a page for each of them, so when a user is looking for a specific brand, I feel it would be more appropriate to show an ad that does indeed answer the user's query.

The problem that I am experiencing is that searching for drills is triggering a brand specific ad, say Black&Decker Drills, instead of showing the generic ad, which applies to "all brands of drills".

What is the correct approach for adressing this type of issues? How should I structure my keywords and ads?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juan Pablo S
January 2016

Re: Similar keywords, different ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Juan,

You can have different campaign structure options to address this issue.

One option is, create 2 different campaigns, one for generic keywords (drill, drills and variations) and another for Brand keywords (black&decker drills). Add the brand names which you have included in the brand campaign as campaign level negative keywords in the generic campaign. This will prevent the generic terms (drill, drills etc) triggering ads for brand related search queries.

Another advantage is that you will be able to provide specific budgets for both these campaigns. For example if your brand campaign is performing well compared to the generic campaign, then you can increase the budget for the brand campaign. Account management and optimization will be easy.

Another approach is, create separate ad groups for generic and brand specific keywords within the same campaign. Add the brand names as ad group level negative keywords in the generic ad groups. This will also help you to prevent generic terms triggering ads for brand related searches.

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juan Pablo S
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Juan,

You can have different campaign structure options to address this issue.

One option is, create 2 different campaigns, one for generic keywords (drill, drills and variations) and another for Brand keywords (black&decker drills). Add the brand names which you have included in the brand campaign as campaign level negative keywords in the generic campaign. This will prevent the generic terms (drill, drills etc) triggering ads for brand related search queries.

Another advantage is that you will be able to provide specific budgets for both these campaigns. For example if your brand campaign is performing well compared to the generic campaign, then you can increase the budget for the brand campaign. Account management and optimization will be easy.

Another approach is, create separate ad groups for generic and brand specific keywords within the same campaign. Add the brand names as ad group level negative keywords in the generic ad groups. This will also help you to prevent generic terms triggering ads for brand related searches.

Deepak

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Juan,

Welcome to AdWords community! 

In scenario like yours, Positive keywords match type and Negative keywords plays an important role. 

You can structure your campaign in following way in my opinion:

In Campaign1 (For Brand Adgroups)
Adgroup1: Black & Decker Drills
Adgroup2: De Walt Drills.

In each adgroup you can add specific ads targeting brand name.

In Campaign2 (Generic Adgroups)
Adgroup1: Buy drills online
Adgroup2: Drill Machine prices

Add all brand names in negative keywords.

In each adgroup you can add ad that says buy Drills of Top Brands such as Black & Decker, DeWalk & more.

Note: If you don't want to create separate campaigns, you can create separate adgroups as well. And can add negative keywords across adgroups.

About Positive keywords Match Type: I am not sure what all match types you are using, I would advise you to add keywords in BMM, Phrase and exact match.

Hope this helps! Let us kn0w if you have more questions.

EDIT: Just noticed Deepak replied already. I was busy in typing my answer. Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @Juan Pablo S,

You already have great suggestions above. There's only one thing that I would like to add. 

@Juan Pablo S wrote:

The problem that I am experiencing is that searching for drills is triggering a brand specific ad, say Black&Decker Drills, instead of showing the generic ad, which applies to "all brands of drills".

If you do not want your brand specific ads to trigger for generic search terms, avoid broad match keywords in your brand campaign/adgroup. Better use phrase match or modify brand names like - +DeWALT +drills. It will make sure users' queries must have your brand terms to trigger ads from your brand campaign/adgroup. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Juan Pablo S, you've already had some great replies from @Ratan-Jha @Neha Gupta and @Deepak_V so I can't add much more, but I'll offer yet another alternative.

You could also use Keyword level URLs to direct the clicks to better pages based upon the actual Keyword matching the query.  For example, a non-brand Keyword for drills could go to your generic page while a Keyword containing DeWalt could have a keyword-level URL pointing at a page specifically for DeWalts.

Having said this, personally I'd go down the route of separate Groups for generic and brand, possibly even separate Campaigns, with the Groups then being even more specific (so each Group is a certain type of DeWalt drill).  Keyword to Ad to Landing Page relevance is hugely important and the very best relevance comes from a 1 to 1 relationship so I often end up with only 1 or 2 Keywords in a Group, with the Ads and landing pages totally focused on those specific Keywords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits