AdWords
860 members online now
860 members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Show Display Network Ads in Sequential Order

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd like to show a set of 5 Display ads sequentially to customers on a remarketing list. I'd like for each customer to see the ads in order, without the ads getting out-of-sequence and without unnecessary repetition. From the user's perspective, as they click through pages on a site, or navigate between sites, they see Ad 1, then on the next page Ad 2, then Ad 3, and so on. The 5 sequential ads progressively tell them a story.

What methods could I use to accomplish this?

So far, my best idea has been a combination of frequency capping and stacked bids. For example, I could create 5 ad groups, each with a frequency cap of 1. Ad Group 1 would have the highest bid, followed by Ad Group 2, then Ad Group 3, and so on. Because the highest bid would be on Ad Group 1, a user would see that ad first. Then, having reached the frequency cap of 1, the user would "graduate" into the ad group with the next-highest bid, Ad Group 2. However, I would end up with a maximum of 5 impressions per user per day, unless I raised the frequency cap on Ad Group 5, in which case I'd have to be happy with that ad continuing to be shown after the user completed the "sequence."

I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to show a set of Display ads in a particular order!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chet D
August

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chet,

Your plan is quite smart, and is probably the best you can achieve. Keep in mind that people might see all 5 ads in one day, or it could take weeks. They might not "see" a certain ad, which is why we repeatedly show ads to people to get their attention.

You are missing what is perhaps a bigger aspect - what do people do when they click on the ads? Does each ad take them somewhere further down the purchase path? Do you remarket to people who have visited 2 or more times differently?

A sequence of 5 is perhaps overly sophisticated. I would try a sequence of 2, by simply running Ad Group 1 for a few days, then pausing it and running Ad Group 2. Measure the results using Analytics and then plan you next campaign informed by those results.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Neat idea, but I think it would be hard to control.

I would revert to classic re-marketing with one banner, but would aim to show more than one banner on the page by splitting the banners into ad groups by size and bidding higher on the bigger banners.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chet D
August

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chet,

Your plan is quite smart, and is probably the best you can achieve. Keep in mind that people might see all 5 ads in one day, or it could take weeks. They might not "see" a certain ad, which is why we repeatedly show ads to people to get their attention.

You are missing what is perhaps a bigger aspect - what do people do when they click on the ads? Does each ad take them somewhere further down the purchase path? Do you remarket to people who have visited 2 or more times differently?

A sequence of 5 is perhaps overly sophisticated. I would try a sequence of 2, by simply running Ad Group 1 for a few days, then pausing it and running Ad Group 2. Measure the results using Analytics and then plan you next campaign informed by those results.