AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Should the Keywords Compete?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would my keywords compete with each other if i add all the match types(broad, phrase, exact) in one adgroup?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Should the Keywords Compete?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Wiiliam S and welcome,

@Wiiliam S wrote:

Would my keywords compete with each other if i add all the match types(broad, phrase, exact) in one adgroup?

I would say that it depends upon the order or precedence (Exact, then Phrase, then Broad Modifier and lastly broad) of the match type which you are using and also upon the relevancy when the ad auction process completes.

I would encourage you to read this help center article which put more light on how the similar match type keywords behave when the user enters the search query on Google:

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

This would probably give you a better idea of what you should be focussing on.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Here's what Google says about this:

"If you have multiple keywords that are the same, the system will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type. For example, if the search term is plumber, and your ad group includes both the broad match keyword plumber and exact match keyword plumber, then the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword."

However, I think your question is based around the cost per click (I think!) and whether this will push the cost up if they compete with one another.

The answer to this question is no - you will only compete in monetary terms with your competitors. Your keywords "compete" in the sense that Google will prefer to trigger the ad based on the most restrictive match type.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

The answer to this question is no

I am not so sure about that. The support article is rather vague and talks about "a set of preferences" (not strict rules) and "approximately in the following order".

If you have the same keyword with 2 different math types and the broader one has a bid twice the narrower one, I wouldn´t be so sure that the system will choose the latter.

[ Edited ]
Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

Good point - I had assumed that all other things would be equal - clearly if you have a higher bid on one match type then that will win out....

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ooops - ^^^^ that was me - logged into Google on a client's account!