AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Should I use exact, phrase or broad match for my branded campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jacquie m
September 2015

Re: Should I use exact, phrase or broad match for my branded campaign?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Jacquie,
Ultimately it comes down to performance - how are the different Match Types performing for you and are they converting? Typically I run on all 3 Match Types. With Phrase and Broad Match Keywords I make sure to upload an extensive list of Negative Keywords when I launch my Campaigns, and then I constantly monitor the Search Terms report and add more Negatives.
Per above, it does depend on performance, but I'd run on all three Match Types and monitor performance. If you're seeing poor performance from one particular Match Type you can always deactivate that one.
Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jacquie m
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Jacquie,
Ultimately it comes down to performance - how are the different Match Types performing for you and are they converting? Typically I run on all 3 Match Types. With Phrase and Broad Match Keywords I make sure to upload an extensive list of Negative Keywords when I launch my Campaigns, and then I constantly monitor the Search Terms report and add more Negatives.
Per above, it does depend on performance, but I'd run on all three Match Types and monitor performance. If you're seeing poor performance from one particular Match Type you can always deactivate that one.
Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

It also depends on how much you want to optimize your brand terms. Say for example company named "XYZ" and the product its selling is "shoes" , "Tshirsts" and "Football". people may do following two types of searches:

• Brand only which is "XYZ" - Which you may want to bid as exact match with good extension coverage. And make people land on your homepage.
  • Brand + product(or service)  like "XYZ footbal" , "XYZ shoes" - Which you may want to add as exact match type and BMM match with + sign infront of brand term like '+XYZ shoes '. The effort should be periodically run search query report for BMM keyword and add relevant query as exact. Using brand + product query will help you make people land on more relvant page and increase the chances of conversion for example if someone is searching for "XYZ shoes" its good to land him/her on product specific page like xyz.com/shoes rather sending him/her to homepage xyz.com . Hope this helps.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jacquie

I would like to add one point to @vkore91 great answer that please keep all 3 matches in different ad groups in order to have proper negatives for them.
For e.g. an ad group with phrase match keyword should have a negative exact match of that keyword otherwise if your ad rank is higher for phrase match then exact match queries will also start triggering from phrase match keyword.

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If you are new to Adwords, I would go with the   classic bidding strategy:  having all 3 match types in the same ad group, but bidding the highest on exact match and the lowest on broad match.

Separating to 3 different ad-group is a great strategy, but you need to watch for the negatives,  and it requires "tightly themed" ad copy for exact match;

@Abhishek S sometimes when I add exact match as negatives, in  the phrase match adgroup, I get an error message - not letting me do that - Have you come across that?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just talked to a Google adwords rep and she told me to only have one version, probably phrase or exact. I'm not confident on this advice and that is why I am searching for other opinions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brian, I'm having some issues using negative keywords for branded campaigns at the ad group-level. Would you mind taking a look at my open question?

Thanks!

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Problems-with-negative-keywords-at-ad-grou...