AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Should I start with Google Analytics, Adwords or Google Tag Manager First?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Should I start with Google Analytics, Adwords or Google Tag Manager First? I'm building out the content for a site that's currently just  an application page; actually its two application pages with two different domains, and neither has a root domain. Theyll both be added to the root domain www.securedcardchoice.com when it's launched. Both "domains" that are live are tagged with UA code and one is tagged with GTM code but I think the GTM code has been done incorrectly. Both property's in analytics state they arent linked to GTM, and it appears as though one domain has the GTM noscript code, but not the script code as well. (From what i read i never deployed GTM, however, i have used GA and AdWords). 

My first thought was have the application pages either combined under one ua tag and sorted out properly in GTM, but I read there's cross domain tracking, but I don't know if it'd be applicable in this situation. 

What i need to track is the entire site traffic, PPC, organic keywords, conversions from PPC, facebook remarketing, and drop off rate during  credit card applications. Also where the users have come from (there are other affilitates sending traffic to the application pages) and where they are headed. 

Lastly, the site is a credit card application site, obviously its eccommerce, but i dont know if i setup GTM with Enhanced Eccommerce or not? 

Thanks so much

this is the GTM tracking code: 

<!-- Google Tag Manager -->
<noscript><iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-W2TNKM"
height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript>
<script>(function (w, d, s, l, i) {
w[l] = w[l] || []; w[l].push({
'gtm.start':
new Date().getTime(), event: 'gtm.js'
}); var f = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
j = d.createElement(s), dl = l != 'dataLayer' ? '&l=' + l : ''; j.async = true; j.src='//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id=' + i + dl; f.parentNode.insertBefore(j, f);
})(window, document, 'script', 'dataLayer', 'GTM-W2TNKM');</script>
<!-- End Google Tag Manager -->
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Honoree T
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Honoree,

Is there a feature of GTM that you need? It sounds like there isn't, in which case just Analytics should suffice.

You don't need eCommerce tracking for credit card applications - eCommerce is for online stores where people buy things.

What you really do need is a thank you page so that you can track completed applications by page count.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Honoree T
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Honoree,

Is there a feature of GTM that you need? It sounds like there isn't, in which case just Analytics should suffice.

You don't need eCommerce tracking for credit card applications - eCommerce is for online stores where people buy things.

What you really do need is a thank you page so that you can track completed applications by page count.

Re: Should I start with Google Analytics, Adwords or Google Tag Manager First?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you- yes i do need tag manager for facebook remarketing, not having
to have the dev team add/change code for me and to integrate with Schema
App, which means typing in the fields and schema app generates the json ld
code automatically and adds the code to the site via google tag manager.
As far as thank you pages- the banks own the 2nd-5th application pages and
do their thank yous, follow ups, etc. I just need basic analytics on those
pages to see if people are falling off at page 3 and why? i know i can use
GA for that but since i need GTM, ill just use it.
I really appreciate your response.