AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Should I split test locations?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am working on an adwords campaign for a web-service where you can claim compensation for delayed flights. The service is only targeting the Danish (speaking) population with all keywords in Danish. My thought is that it is just as likely that you will search for "delayed flight compensation" (in Danish of course) when your plain is delayed and you are standing in JFK Airport, as when you are safe back home in Denmark.

As far as I know, to reach everyone in the world searching for the keywords I am targeting (which are all Danish words/sentences) I would just have to set the targeted locations to 'All countries and territories' and the language setting to 'All languages'. I can't see the big problem in doing so, as all my keywords are Danish words/sentences. If you see any cons to this approach, please let me know.

I am thinking geographical location would be an interesting dimension to (split)test to see if my hypothesis is true. As a start I would like to split test users located in Denmark against users located in the rest of the world. Can you do this in the same campaign or will I have to run two separate and identical campaigns to do so? Any cons to my idea or better ways to split test language/location settings?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Should I split test locations?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Klelund,

Split testing in Adwords is done for landingpages or ad copy within the same campaign. If you wanted to you could target different languages or areas though different ad copies.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Klelund,

Split testing in Adwords is done for landingpages or ad copy within the same campaign. If you wanted to you could target different languages or areas though different ad copies.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Klelund
You can indeed do this. You can use different landing pages for each country and test them against each other OR, and this is my preferred method, you can do the following...

You can use your GA data to see what countries are performing better and you can use a geographic bid modifier in conjunction with a campaign experiment to test your hypothesis : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en

Hope that helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Trevor

I know it is not going to be a regular split test, but I would like to compare Denmark vs. the World.

The landing page is the same, as it is a Danish web-service only. So how is it possible to target different geo locations through different ad copies?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Klelund as Dale Davis mentions you will have to use the geo bid modifier inside your campaign then monitor through Analytics.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Alright. Thanks you guys. My idea about creating two separate campaigns targeting different locations wouldn't work as well?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Klelund
Not sure that you need split testing unless you wanted to test ad copies or test different variations of landing pages with other audiences.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Split test might be the wrong term to use. I want to see if my hypothesis is correct - that just as many people will research about their right to compensation when they are travelling as when they are back home.

As mentioned I am thinking that the best way to do this is to create two separate campaigns targeting different locations (Denmark vs. the rest of the World). Having similar ads/keywords in the two campaigns, i.e. two similar campaigns except for the location setting, would be the most most time-saving way to handle it.

Do you agree that my approach with two separate campaigns would work best for what I am trying to investigate/achieve?