AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Should I create multiple ads targeted at my keywords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a list of around 70 keywords for a product that I am selling on my e-commerce site. I already have four ads in this group that are worded differently for these keywords. Is this a good method to use?

Thanks in Advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simon B
September 2015

Re: Should I create multiple ads targeted at my keywords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So, This could be an example set up:

Campaign - Kitchen Products
Adgroup - Product a
Keywords - Keyword 1, Keyword 2, Keyword 3, Keyword 4, Keyword 5.
Ad - Ad Targeted to Keyword 1, Keyword 2, Keyword 3, Keyword 4, Keyword 5.

-

Adgroup - Product a 2
Keywords - Keyword 6, Keyword 7, Keyword 8, Keyword 9, Keyword 10.
Ad - Ad Targeted to Keyword 6, Keyword 7, Keyword 8, Keyword 9, Keyword 10.

and so on?

Does that look like a good structure for this type of campaign?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Im confussed no, haha. The structure I mentioned before is what I propose to do. 

I will make seperate ad groups for products, say five ad groups for each product that I sell. I will then group keywords in these ad groups so that the keywords are all contained within the ad that will be triggered.

For example:

Product #1

Ad Group #1

Ad #1

Keywords - 1, 2, 3, 4 5

Product #1

Ad Group #2

Ad #2

Keywords - 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Therefore each of these specific groups will trigger an Ad that is directly related to the keywords that I have chosen. Target audience will then only be able to view ad that is directly targeted to their search terms.

Does that seem like a correct way of using Ad Groups and Ads? Or am I misunderstanding how Ads are triggered?

Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Simon,
Apologies again for the confusion -
Yes, that is a correct way of using Keywords and Ads in your Ad Groups. Congratulations on launching your Campaign!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Simon,
Yes, you should absolutely create Ads that are very targeted towards your Keywords. One thing I suggest is to set up tightly themed, granular Ad Groups and make sure that the Ads in those Ad Groups closely relate to the Keywords in that Ad Group. I typically try to use the Keyword that I'm bidding on in the Title of my Ad, and in at least Line 1 or Line 2. In your example, I'd probably break out those 70 Keywords into a couple different Ad Groups, so that your Ads can be very focused, very targeted, toward the Keywords that people are searching for.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Simon, probably not Smiley Happy  In theory, any Keyword in a Group can cause any Ad in that Group to show so you could end up with a Keyword triggering the display of an Ad that's not the most relevant.

Best practice in this situation is to use multiple Ad Groups with fewer Keywords in each, tightly themed to the same product, then Ads in those Groups that are closely relevant to those Keywords and product only.  Do always use multiple Ads in a Group to test for performance variations, but they should all be relevant to that Group theme.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So, This could be an example set up:

Adgroup - Product a
Keywords - Keyword 1, Keyword 2, Keyword 3, Keyword 4, Keyword 5.
Ad - Ad Targeted to Keyword 1, Keyword 2, Keyword 3, Keyword 4, Keyword 5.

-

Adgroup - Product a 2
Keywords - Keyword 6, Keyword 7, Keyword 8, Keyword 9, Keyword 10.
Ad - Ad Targeted to Keyword 6, Keyword 7, Keyword 8, Keyword 9, Keyword 10.

and so on?

Does that look like a good structure for this type of campaign?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Simon,
I may not of understood your question correctly the first time - unfortunately there is not a 1:1 relationship between Ads and Keywords - meaning if you have multiple Keywords and multiple Ads in an Ad Group, you cannot control what Keyword shows what Ad. It is a good practice to have multiple Ads to do A/B testing, but again, your Ads should relate very closely to the Keywords you're bidding on.

Your structure above looks good, but again, you cannot control what Ad shows for certain Keywords, if you have multiple Ads and multiple Keywords in an Ad Group. One thing you could do is use Google's Dynamic Keyword Insertion Tool - this will dynamically add, as long as not over character count, the Keyword you're bidding on to your Ad. Does that help? Apologies if I didn't understand your q completely the first time.
Dynamic Keyword Insertion - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Im confussed no, haha. The structure I mentioned before is what I propose to do. 

I will make seperate ad groups for products, say five ad groups for each product that I sell. I will then group keywords in these ad groups so that the keywords are all contained within the ad that will be triggered.

For example:

Product #1

Ad Group #1

Ad #1

Keywords - 1, 2, 3, 4 5

Product #1

Ad Group #2

Ad #2

Keywords - 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Therefore each of these specific groups will trigger an Ad that is directly related to the keywords that I have chosen. Target audience will then only be able to view ad that is directly targeted to their search terms.

Does that seem like a correct way of using Ad Groups and Ads? Or am I misunderstanding how Ads are triggered?

Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Simon,
Apologies again for the confusion -
Yes, that is a correct way of using Keywords and Ads in your Ad Groups. Congratulations on launching your Campaign!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Simon, the only thing I'd add here - which you may already have considered - is that it's good practice to have more than one Ad per Ad Group - all relevant to the Keywords - in order to test performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks John, So I should have more than one so that I can keep track of which one performs better? I'll keep that in mind. I should have this campaign up and running by the end of play today.

Thank You everyone for your wonderful advice.

Simon.