AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Shared Budget -- Will one campaign eat all my budget?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello!

I have multiple display campaigns running under one shared budget. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on how a shared budget "chooses" where it spends the most. 

My campaigns are set up by geo. Some of the geos has more population and consequently end up gaining more clicks. 

Am I running the risk for some of my other geos to not appear on the GDN in a particular state if another state is winning on bids/impressions? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessi T
September 2015

Re: Shared Budget -- Will one campaign eat all my budget?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Shared budget can be utilized in any campaign, based on actual consumption and traffic. Hence I'd recommend Shared budget only when it doesn't matter where it is spent.

If your campaigns are split by Geo, I'd certainly recommend individual budgets for better management and effective budget allocation.

Feel free to write back!
Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jessi,

Usually Shared Budget is ideal if you don't have a lot of time to spend setting up and monitoring individual campaign budgets. If you DO have some time, I personally would recommend NOT to use.

Shared Budget tends to prioritize campaigns with higher traffic and demand, so yeah, if you have two campaigns set up, one for a small town and another to a mid-large town, probably the second one will eat all the money, and leave the small town with no ads at all since budget will be gone.

Also, I've seen people allocating low-conversion campaigns with high conversion campaigns on the same shared budget, but then, when the low-conversion campaign have an increase on demand and traffic, all the money go to waste with no results.

That's my opinion.

Hope it helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessi T
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Shared budget can be utilized in any campaign, based on actual consumption and traffic. Hence I'd recommend Shared budget only when it doesn't matter where it is spent.

If your campaigns are split by Geo, I'd certainly recommend individual budgets for better management and effective budget allocation.

Feel free to write back!
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks gentlemen. This really helps; I can't believe how hard it was to find out HOW the shared budget works. 

Another question -- say I'm running this shared budget across geos, how would it be best to determine if one geo can spend more? By looking at impression share?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I guess the first metric to look at would be population volume when you add the location to your campaign. Usually, larger number of people creates more traffic (not necessarily, but overall).

If you really want to test it out, I'd say for you to start with individual budgets and test for like 2 weeks, maybe a month, and then move to Shared Budget if you like.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Jessi

"Another question -- say I'm running this shared budget across geos, how would it be best to determine if one geo can spend more? By looking at impression share?"

You may want to look at it from the point of view of Conversions and ROI. Are there area's in which conversions are higher and area's in which there are no Conversions.

At the end of the day it is how much money the Company is making, not how much money is spent on Advertising.

You can use the Dimensions tab to get geo targeted information and results to make more informed decsions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
No conversion tracking in place Smiley Sad