AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Serious Invalid Click Issue!!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I want to discuss a very strange(at least to me) issue which I am encountering in one of my client's adwords account.

I created a new campaign about a week ago and since the start I am seeing an incredibly high invalid click count in the same campaign. Normally, I am quite patient when it comes to my work but now I am actually finding it a bit uncomfortable.

On the first day of the same scenario, I shrugged the whole thing off and of course the google filters were doing their work fine,I received all the invalid spent amount back in the account but that does not mean that it didn't cause any discomfort. Till the time google filters completed their work all the budget was depleted and the ads did not start running till the amount was credited back!(which took awfully long)

Since then its the same scene, infact I am facing the same issue as I write this post. I even called adwords support(though I knew what their answer would be) but it was of no help.

I noticed that there were some specific keywords( 2 of them) which were accruing those invalid clicks,I experimented with pausing them and monitoring the campaign..to my surprise other keywords in the same ad group started accruing those invalid clicks.

Then I paused the ad group which was causing the issue,the keywords in the other ad group in the same campaign started accruing invalid clicks in the same volume!

It would be great help if any one could provide a sane explanation or a solution. The budgets are exhausted incredibly fast because of this and the rest of the ads don't start running till the amount is credited back in the account.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mudit
September 2015

Re: Serious Invalid Click Issue!!

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

Mudit;

Target location only : "People in your targeted location" (vs. the default: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The campaign is opted into "search" ie google search+search partners and I have not seen a better response from search partner before in any campaign. The campaign in general is doing good in terms of output with comfortable CPC.

The search partner infact is accruing more impressions than google search and driving more clicks as well. Though it all seems strange is certain aspects..

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Can you identify which search partners are driving the traffic? If they are parked domains, you can block that category (for the search network). If it's a "regular" search partner, you'll have to either opt out of the search network or else request Google manually block that partner for you.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
P.S. In the short term, while you are analyzing the traffic, you might want to opt out of the search partner network so your client can keep receiving valid search ad traffic.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Richard

Let me in identify the traffic generators..Will keep you updated.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Richard

I don't think its a case of any suspicious activity on search partner sites. The campaign is regarding the AOL tech support requirements and its obvious that its having a favourable result on AOL search,even better than google search.

There is an issue which is beyond our reach I guess..

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Mudit;

Have you set geo-targeting ?

Are you getting traffic from "geo-regions" that are not targeted? ( i.e: you said that "the campaign is regarding the AOL tech support requirement". - Do you get clicks from places AOL does not provide service?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshe

I guess we have the reason getting clearer..My campaign is targeted to United States only,but when we talk about,lets say AOL search to be alone,it does not really have a specific regional domain and thus a specific geo targeting feature...When I open AOL at my end in India, I can see my ad well showing..And users all over the world have the same results.

So,the campaign has huge number of invalid clicks or clicks coming from geographies I am not targeting and thus they are being filtered out.

Guess it sums the problem up..but the solution,I actually want to target AOL!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In the "user location" report in the Dimensions tab,I do see clicks recorded from countries which I am not targeting,but they are very minute,obviously they are recorded after filtering the invalid clicks and impressions.

How to reach on a concrete statement? There is not enough data to exclude locations or should I exclude the rest of the world excluding US in the geo-targeted location?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Mudit;

Let me rephrase;

AOL is a global company... (Pity If I did not know that ... Smiley Wink)

You can check AOL website from any location. However, AOL does not provide services in many European countries. If you are running, for example , a campaign for AOL mail support, and getting clicks from my country, I would be very suspicious, since AOL mail is not offered in my country.