AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Seller rating stars without sponsoring PLAs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings everyone!

Apologies if this is an obvious question.  I see in Google's seller rating stars extension description that a Google Merchant Center account is *not* required in order to get seller rating stars in AdWords ads.

Does this mean that PLA sponsorship is also *not* required?

If this is correct, then I'm confused about how Google aggregates the seller ratings, since if you don't have a PLA ad, then there is no shopping listing for this merchant where Google Shopping can aggregate reviews. 

Can anyone clarify?  To restate my main question: Is PLA sponsorship necessary in order to get seller rating stars on AdWords? 

Thanks very much!
Gradiva

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Seller rating stars without sponsoring PLAs?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Gradiva.

No, you definitely do not need a Google Merchant Center account and you don't need to run PLAs in order to get them showing.

Here's the link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375474?hl=en and the relevant information

• You don't need to have a Google Merchant Center account for your ads to be eligible for seller ratings.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Calin! Quick follow up: Does that mean that it's possible to have Seller Rating Stars even if there is no Google Shopping profile for the business?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Gradiva. Yes, it is possible. However, you have to fall in this category:

"You must be an advertiser that provides customers with paid goods or services, or one that enables the buying or selling of products or services by way of a marketplace."

So you can't be just any advertiser.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Calin,
Thanks again! If there is no Google Shopping profile, and as long as the site qualifies in all of the other ways you've mentioned, will Google then match up the reviews with the AdWords ads based on the store name/domain name?
Grazie,
Gradiva

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Gradiva C,

Reviews are a bit of a mystery. Google will aggregate reviews from many different web sites, but they do not provide a comprehensive list of those sites.

I use BizMart. Google aggregates the reviews from there. They are not product specific reviews. They are reviews of the web store overall. When you do set up a review site, it needs to be for the same domain as your web store. I only setup the reviews. Customers are asked to fill out a customer service survey after completing a purchase. I never told Google about it, but they found the reviews.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much to you both!

Pete, just to be sure I'm understanding, did those reviews propagate even when you were not using PLAs?

Best regards,
Gradiva

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Gradiva C,

The reviews (stars) show with my regular search text ads and with PLA's.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Pete!

I would love to know if anyone has any actual examples or personal experience with an AdWords sponsorship that shows stars *without* having PLAs.

Best regards,
Gradiva
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gradiva C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

all that likely need be done to verify this notion is to use terms that
return ads prohibited from google-shopping -- such as vehicles.

google's shopping directory is simply the repository for seller reviews.

that said, review-extensions/shared-endorsements will
probably begin to augment 3rd-party reviews in general.

http://celebird-support.appspot.com/help-forum/pla/sans-shopping-ad.png

http://celebird-support.appspot.com/help-forum/pla/sans-shopping-review.png