AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Seller rating extension - very mysterious?

Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

our main competitor has received strong criticism from some of his customers for some of the business tactics he employs (auto-renewal of subscriptions, alleged fake customer accounts). Subsequently he has received very poor customer ratings on a number of ratings sites as you can see here: (http://www.google.de/products/seller?zmi=betreut.de&sort=1). As a competitor we don't want to judge the validity of the complaints, but there is something very strange about how google handles these complaints.

Despite having very many negative ratings (most ratings are 2/5 stars) our competitor has an overall rating of 4.2/5 stars displayed on the overview page.

This confused me, so I calculated the average rating myself.

The result is as follows:

3.3/5 stars in total

3.4/5 stars in the last 12 months

So the true average significantly varies from the average shown by google.

To receive these ratings I multiplied the number of stars by the number of instances (37*5 stars + 22*4 stars + 8*3 stars + 59*2 stars + 2*1stars) and divided by total number of ratings (128).

The thing that is particularly annoying about this is that the 4.2 / 5 average is also used in the google adwords seller rating extension where it is rounded up to be 4.5/5 stars.

Apart from harming our business this problem is an intellectual mystery to me that I don't understand.

I would be very thankful for any comments if anyone has seen something similar somewhere or has any idea what the reason for this strange results may be!

Thanks!

Puh

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Seller rating extension - very mysterious?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Puh,

In addition to what Scott said above, I would like to emphasize that with latest Adwords official announcement, it will become more chalenging for the business owners to retain the seller rating because moving forward 30 reviews in the past 12 months and an average of 4 star rating will count whereas on the contrary in the past, the criteria was 30 life time reviews and no defined time period.

I guess with the formulation of this new process, lot of changes would be seen in the coming time related to seller ratings.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Puh,

Welcome to the community.

It's a stab in the dark but I'm wondering whether it's a case of there being a delay in the latest reviews being indexed / crawled. If the competitor initially had over 30 ratings above the 4 star level then it would make sense why they have their current standing, the poorer reviews then may have come later but haven't been taken into consideration yet which is why the original extension is still there at 4.2./5.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Puh,

In addition to what Scott said above, I would like to emphasize that with latest Adwords official announcement, it will become more chalenging for the business owners to retain the seller rating because moving forward 30 reviews in the past 12 months and an average of 4 star rating will count whereas on the contrary in the past, the criteria was 30 life time reviews and no defined time period.

I guess with the formulation of this new process, lot of changes would be seen in the coming time related to seller ratings.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Good spot Pankaj (and nice 1,000th post!)

I imagine (if my original thought is correct) that these new changes will also involve all the account ratings to be re-examined to compensate for the 12 month change which means that your competitor will also be included in this. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@ Scott, I never imagined that I have reached 1000th post Smiley Wink

Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

thanks for your help and @Pankaj congrats to over 1,000 posts :-)

As the stars are already being shown on the google overview it means that they have already been crawled. I have also performed analysis on the last 30 ratings (avg. rating of 3.7) and the ratings of the last 12 months (avg. rating of 3.4). So I am pretty sure that it is not a timing issue.

The only thing I can imagine is that there is some kind of weighting in the results (which wouldn't make any sense) or that someone has manually excluded some of the ratings from the overall calculation (e.g. because some of the ratings are deemed unjust). Obviously I don't know whether this is possible.

Has anyone ever heard of any of the above or have any other ideas what the reason may be?

It just seems really bizarre ;-)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Puh wrote:

As the stars are already being shown on the google overview it means that they have already been crawled. I have also performed analysis on the last 30 ratings (avg. rating of 3.7) and the ratings of the last 12 months (avg. rating of 3.4). So I am pretty sure that it is not a timing issue. 

It has been crawled in the organic sense but I'm not sure whether this is the same case as AdWords. Google Analytics reporting has a different time frame to the interface reporting on AdWords campaigns for example.

Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Scott,

your comment just made me notice something.

When I see their adds on adwords it says: "made up of 82 ratings", but on the overview page I can see 128 ratings. So it does seem that only some of the ratings are being counted into the overall rating.

I am pretty sure it is not a timing issue, as our own ratings seem to appear after a couple of days.

Will further investigate.

Does anyone know the link for the google seller rating guidelines?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Do you mean this one Puh?

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375474

Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Puh
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Scott,

thanks a lot. That link looks very useful. It leads on to this link: http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190657

Which explains:

"We [google] calculate Seller Ratings using a variety of signals beyond just the arithmetic mean in order to make sure Seller Ratings reflect not only the raw quantity of review scores, but also how representative and high-quality the reviews are. We're constantly refining how we use those signals to give our users as helpful an overview as possible."

So these signals seem to be favorable to our competitor in one or the other way.