AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Selecting the Mobile Device Preference option when creating an Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Do you need to select the mobile device preference option when creating an ad if your campaign is already set to target mobile devices only at the campaign level?  What would you gain, if anything by doing this.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Selecting the Mobile Device Preference option when creating an Ad

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If this ad is used for both, desktop and mobile, you should not select the mobile preference. It should be checked for ads created specifically for mobile devices.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well the campaign is already set to Android and then to Tablets. So do we still need to select the mobile option in the ads?

Thanks for your reply and help Joel

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

No. Since you want this ad to show first and foremost on desktops, you should not prefer it for mobile. As you say you selected already the ad to show on all devices and it will show.  

Best of Luck Brian.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think yo misunderstood me. Apologies if I wasn't clear but the campaign is set for Tablets and Android devices only. Not desktop.  So since I'm targeting Mobile devices in the settings at the campaign level.  Do I still need to select the mobile option in the ad.

Hope that is clearer!

B

Joel W wrote:

No. Since you want this ad to show first and foremost on desktops, you should not prefer it for mobile. As you say you selected already the ad to show on all devices and it will show.  

Best of Luck Brian.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Oh Sorry I did not get that right. Yes if this ad is directed  for mobile and tablets, you should select the mobile device preference. This tells Ad words that this ad targets mobiles. This is a new feature added to Adwords I'm not sure if the device selection ad the campaign level is enough now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Joel! Much appreciated information.  I've been wondering for a bit if one overrode the other or didn't make any difference at all. It makes sense that it needs to be selected now that it's there. 

Thanks again!

B

Joel W wrote:

Oh Sorry I did not get that right. Yes if this ad is directed  for mobile and tablets, you should select the mobile device preference. This tells Ad words that this ad targets mobiles. This is a new feature added to Adwords I'm not sure if the device selection ad the campaign level is enough now.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Brian, bit confused here.  Is this a Legacy Campaign we're talking about here?  You can't specify to target only Tablets and Mobiles with Enhanced Campaigns and Legacy Campaigns don't have a mobile preference checkbox.  So either you have an Enhanced Campaign, in which case you can't choose to target only tablets and mobiles, or you have a Legacy Campaign, in which case you won't have a mobile preference checkbox.

Jon

(edit) unless, of course, you're talking about a Display Campaign?

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Sorry I should have said that it is a Display campaign and enhanced. You can target tablets and mobile in enhanced display campaigns.

Hope's this makes more sense.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Old thread this... anyway.. it sparked my curiosity

Cobnut says: "unless, of course, you're talking about a Display Campaign?"

Brian says: " You can target tablets and mobile in enhanced display campaigns."

Where do you see the option to target mobile and tablets ONLY in display campaigns?
Unless you are talking about a campaign ONLY marketing a mobile app...?