AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Seeing ads out of local area.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A friend wanted to look at my ad,but he he is outside my targeted area.

I have my settings to People in your targeted area.

He said as long as he typed in one of my exact match keywords the ad

should still show up for him. I politely told him I think you are wrong, but I

would try to find out . Who is correct? Thank You.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Seeing ads out of local area.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello bills4065; welcome;

LOLL; I like the "quiz"  style;Smiley Happy

Which advanced setting  for location targeting  did you choose?

• People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)
    OR
  • People in your targeted location

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi bills4065,

You are correct. With your settings, he would not regularly see your ad from outside your targetted area. Now, he could set his location for Google search to within your target area. Then, when entering one of your exact match keywords, he might see your ad. That will depend on your ad rank and competition on the page.

If he just wants to see your ad, give him the link to the ad preview tool. He does not need to log into AdWords to use the tool. Have him set his location to somewhere within your target area and enter your keywords. It won't give him any information about your account, but he will be able to see the ad. Links in the preview tool go nowhere.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I can suggest another option ;

Since Geo-targeting is not perfect: if your friend is physically located nearby, and uses a dynamic IP to connect to the internet; this IP can once be assigned (by the ISP) to one location, and the other time (he connects to the internet) to a different location (= your location).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’