AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Search Phrases on Imressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an ad group with a very poor ctr showing loads of impressions for the main generic keyword.

I am only using phrase and exact in the Ad Group.

How can I see what phrases are triggering the impressions to use that information to build a more targeted Ad Group?

Where can I see search phrases for impressions as opposed to clicks?

If not in Google does anyone know of any of the 3rd party services that offer this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MM M
September 2015

Re: Search Phrases on Imressions

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi MM, unfortunately, it is not possible to see data on search terms that caused impressions, only for clicks (and then often only a limited subset of all clicks).

As Eric has said, you'll need to build a list of negative terms to reduce the number of irrelevant searches that match your Keywords.  Building such a list can be difficult because you'll need to think about what people might be searching for without actually knowing.  I've found tools like Soovle useful in the past as they can give you ideas of where your search terms may be mis-matched.

http://www.soovle.com/

Enter your Phrase term and Soovle will show you the most frequent searches that include that term, across many search engines - there are usually some surprising ones - and you should come away with not only some immediate negatives but ideas of how to expand on those negatives in those "incorrect" themes.

Note that for the Exact match, if your CTR is poor there this is nothing to do with irrelevant terms (since Exact matches will only match the exact term) and if you're seeing poor CTR for both Phrase and Exact, at least some of the problem could lie with your Ad creative copy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
MM M,

You are going to want to use the "search terms report" to see what search queries triggered your ad impressions

( it will show both Clicked upon terms as well as some terms that just generated an impression) - It is however not comprehensive and you will set a set of "Other" that are very rare therefor does not report the data.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2684537?hl=en

To see this report for your keywords, click the "Keyword details" button above the table on your Keywords tab.

Note: you usually can only see terms prior to today. Meaning it's always about 24-48 hours behind. Also this report will show you a sample of click terms as well as terms that just brought impressions without clicks. It is also helpful to determine sets of Negative Keywords to add as well as potential "positive keywords to use"

If you have hooked up analytics you can see Search Query terms but only on the click through to your website. In Analytics -- Acquisition - Adwords - Search Queries

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Eric thanks for your reply.

However for me the search terms report is only showing data on clicks, nothing for keywords/search terms that only resulted in impressions. Same results as for Google Analytics.

So I have thousands of impressions for one of my main terms that I cannot analyse. How can this be?

This results in a lower ctr and higher PPC.

Oh right now I get it; that's why I cannot see the data. It will help me lower my PPC costs!

Surely not?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Any time you use any match type other them Exact, it is you best interest to have an extensive Negative keyword list. I have campaign with well over 6000 negative keywords.

Some of the date should start appearing soon, Have you gone back and looked for over 20-30 days,

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Keep in mind that you’ll only see search terms that were used by people at least 24 hours ago and have either received clicks in the past 30 days or were searched for by a significant number of people. Any search terms that did not meet this criteria will be summed up in the 'Other search terms' row

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en
Tip
You can also use the Dimensions tab to see the list of search terms that triggered your ad for your entire account, or specific campaigns or ad groups. Just click Dimensions, then click View and select "Search terms" from the drop-down. Note that while the same information for individual keywords is available when viewing the Search terms report this way, you can’t add keywords or negative keywords directly from the report like you can when viewing the report from the Keyword tab.

See if the Dimensions tab adds any information?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MM M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi MM, unfortunately, it is not possible to see data on search terms that caused impressions, only for clicks (and then often only a limited subset of all clicks).

As Eric has said, you'll need to build a list of negative terms to reduce the number of irrelevant searches that match your Keywords.  Building such a list can be difficult because you'll need to think about what people might be searching for without actually knowing.  I've found tools like Soovle useful in the past as they can give you ideas of where your search terms may be mis-matched.

http://www.soovle.com/

Enter your Phrase term and Soovle will show you the most frequent searches that include that term, across many search engines - there are usually some surprising ones - and you should come away with not only some immediate negatives but ideas of how to expand on those negatives in those "incorrect" themes.

Note that for the Exact match, if your CTR is poor there this is nothing to do with irrelevant terms (since Exact matches will only match the exact term) and if you're seeing poor CTR for both Phrase and Exact, at least some of the problem could lie with your Ad creative copy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks for reply.
I accept we cannot see that information but really do think that is a massive omission in the adwords system.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for reply again Eric, I will check the dimensions tab as you suggested.