AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Search Network with Display Select - new campaign type. Opinions?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 1
Top Contributor Alumni

Hello all,

While browsing the AdWords blog, I came across a post stating that there's a new type campaign type called "Search Network with Display Select". I found the post itself quite blurry so despite the fact I didn't find any options to try this new campaign type (I'm from an "emerging markets", so it's quite normal to be late in everything), I decided to read a little bit in the help center just to get a grip of what's happening.

The thing that confuses me is the fact that the new campaign type is compared to the search campaigns (although it seems quite logical to compare it to the "search and display" type. 

In the help center article it's stated: "Compared with the exisiting “Search & Display Network” campaigns, “Search Network with Display Select” uses new methods to determine when and where your ads are likely to perform best on the Display Network, setting a higher bar for when to show them. That means your ads are shown to a smaller number of potential customers who are most likely to be interested in the products and services you're advertising."

But wait: let's say I use that mixed Search & Display campaign, and tend to choose display targeting as well-aimed as possible (using the search keywords and adding, for example, a couple of topics) - how is it worth shifting to that "search network with display select" type?

Has somebody run across this type of campaign already? If yes, what are your first impressions and thoughts regarding it? Please share Smiley Happy Thank you in advance!

milda prušinskaitė

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mildaster
September 2015

Re: Search Network with Display Select - new campaign type. Opinions?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Milda,

My account has been updated with this new campaign type. But as far as I can conclude that it is not comoltely cover the concept of Search campanion Marketing.

As search campanion only shows the results on GDN not the search.

yes I agree with you that if we target the campaign and interest how this perform Search Campanion Marketing.

Also SCM campaigns enables by excluding category targeting:- Non-search- related-traffic. but we have to see the such features in this new campaign type.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mildaster
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

OK;

Let me elaborate a bit on this new type of campaign:

Search with display Select, when fully rolled out, will replace the existing "search and display". (Current campaigns will not be affected)

This type of campaign  can be useful for two types of advertisers:

• Advertisers who have  some "extra"  budget on search, that is not exhausted, and want to try and spend it on  text ads in on the display 
  • Advertisers who don't want to get into the complexity of the setting a display campaign;

A few points to remember:

• This is aimed towards SMBs;
  • The algorithm uses mainly contextual targeting, and will use  keywords' performances on the  search  campaign to determine the keywords that used to find relevant pages on display;
  • In terms of budget: priority is given to search.
  • Only text ads.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Thanks Moshe for your kind inputSmiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Thank you, Moshe and Rakesh. Got much clearer now Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your explanation,
If the algorithm uses contextual targeting, i think is it has the same method like we set the contextual targeting as usual, if it is correct so what the difference or new technology that google create with this new feature?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Diffrence between Normal Display Campaigns and Search With Display select:-

Predict the placement sites based on the users Search Query:- Unlike the normal GDN campaigns, SNDS does not show ads to placement sites on the basis of content match. It matches the search query with the keywords and publishers sites and AdWords shows the ads on those publishers’ sites.

Keyword Contextual Targeting & Interest Signals:- SNDS  does not only shows ads  with respect of users search query based publisherssites but also it considers  the users behavior or interests and contextual targeting to show the ads on the relevant placements sites, where users are likely to be convert.

Smart Pricing (Automatic Bid):- Smart Pricing models automatically adjust bids on publishers sites based on aggregated ROI. For example a Publisher site has poor conversion rate than the aggregated publishers sites, it automatically reduces the bids on that particular site.

Budget Allocation: - It works on the basis of Network Value based bid adjustments, so it automatically starts reducing the max CPC bids on the GDN, if your campaigns do not meet the advertising objective on GDN. Thus it controls and allocates the budget on the network in the view of providing higher ROI.

Also i would suggest you to read below article:-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Search-Network-With-Display-Select-Should-Smal...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@RyanBatchin ;

The algorithm is a bit different and the major difference is  that you cannot select yourself the list of keywords for contextual targeting. The system, picks them itself, based on search campaign performance; 

RyanBatchin wrote:
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your explanation,
If the algorithm uses contextual targeting, i think is it has the same method like we set the contextual targeting as usual, if it is correct so what the difference or new technology that google create with this new feature?

Thanks

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

I got it!
Thanks for your clear explanation!