AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Search Lost IS IS (rank) *so* high but QS's mostly 10's

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The keyword is in an ad group by itself has a 10/10 quality score, >13% CTR, Avg Pos of 1.2, and is using an Expanded ad with multiple extensions, going to a highly relevant landing page.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul M
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Paul,

Good on you for using the Search Lost IS (Rank) metric.

Ad Rank = Bid x QS. If you're missing out on auctions, and your QS is already at 10, then it's probably time to increase your bids.

The Average Position of 1.2 might lead you to believe that your bids are as high as they need to be. However, that 1.2 average is the average for the auctions you've participated in. Your ad position is very good in auctions you've qualified for; however, your "Search lost IS (Rank)" metric indicates there are more auctions out there that you haven't qualified for due to Ad Rank.

When you increase bids, you'll qualify for more auctions; you may see that your Average Position decreases. That's because you're now qualifying for more competitive auctions that you previously didn't qualify for.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Paul,

Hard to tell without being in your account but here's a wild guess...

One possibility is something rarely discussed here - how many ads are Google showing for this keyword? Sometimes Google actually thinks that organic results are more useful than ads.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul M
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Paul,

Good on you for using the Search Lost IS (Rank) metric.

Ad Rank = Bid x QS. If you're missing out on auctions, and your QS is already at 10, then it's probably time to increase your bids.

The Average Position of 1.2 might lead you to believe that your bids are as high as they need to be. However, that 1.2 average is the average for the auctions you've participated in. Your ad position is very good in auctions you've qualified for; however, your "Search lost IS (Rank)" metric indicates there are more auctions out there that you haven't qualified for due to Ad Rank.

When you increase bids, you'll qualify for more auctions; you may see that your Average Position decreases. That's because you're now qualifying for more competitive auctions that you previously didn't qualify for.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Paul M

The issue with search IS is that the estimated number of auctions the ad  could participate is huge. Almost every keyword can be matched to many queries with synonyms. Hence, I prefer the exact match IS? How is this metric in your campaign?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That makes sense. I have 3 expanded ads running, all performing exceptionally well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Exact Match IS" is <10%

Re: Search Lost IS IS (rank) *so* high but QS's mostly 10's

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Chet

So for the many years we've pounded away using manual bidding to get the client the lowest possible CPC and get them the best bang for the buck, it sounds like you're saying we are forced to bid higher even though we have done everything possible to make the campaign run as most efficiently as it can.

You are right though because my max CPC bid is $0.06, with an average CPC of $0.03 for December. I started them at $2.00 eight months ago. 

I think I will run a test.... raise the bid high again to see if I can lower Lost IS (rank) and then chip away at the bid (yet AGAIN, now that the ad group is stellar) and see where the sweet spot is.

Is there a target Lost IS (rank) percentage that you try to maintain?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

If less than 10% than you are loosing impressions.... And performances should improve.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Paul,

How much Lost IS (Rank) you're willing to tolerate is a business question. If the campaign has a positive ROI, then it may make sense to bid more aggressively to decrease Lost IS (Rank) and go after more conversions, even if those conversions come at a greater CPA due to the higher bids. There may be a point of diminishing returns where the additional conversions are too expensive to justify the increased bids and greater spend.

If you're going to run a test, consider using the Campaign Drafts & Experiments features. You could:

1) Create a Draft out of your currently efficient, stellar campaign

2) Modify the bids in the Draft

3) Promote the Draft to an Experiment

4) Send a percentage of traffic to the Experiment to test the performance of your bid changes

all without touching your current campaign.

If the modified bids in the Experiment don't work out, simply end the Experiment. If you see greater success in the Experimental campaign than in your current one, promote the Experiment to replace your current campaign.

I'd also keep your eye on Exact Match IS per @MosheTLV.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent suggestion. I spent a few hours last night going through a bunch of accounts looking at the historical correlation between Exact Match IS vs CPC vs Lost IS (rank)... very interesting. AS that CPC comes down, quite a few times the Lost IS (rank) begins to creep up. 

Also great point on "do the extra conversions justify the increase in spend/bids". Oftentimes not so worth it on the general non-branded terms.... "sunglasses" or even too generically branded terms like "toyota".  Tough nut to crack sometimes.

I think I've been ignorantly looking at the just the metric of Cost/Conv. I've always been so focused on getting the lowest possible CPC and showing that progress to the client. Now that I understand the usefulness of the Lost IS (rank) as it relates to exposure/bids/spend, I'm rethinking my own "algorithm".

Cost/Conv could actually come down if there are more convertible impressions from slightly higher bids and better ad rank.

Certainly appreciate all your insight on this.