AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Search Companion Marketing - What is the Difference from Display?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi!

I haven't found any explanation yet that explains the difference between regular Display Campaigns and Search Companion Marketing.

SCM displays my ads based on the keywords I choose. But I can set keywords on the regular Display Campaigns as well as interest.

So what would be the difference? 

(Google has contacted us and offered a beta campaign)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camila K
September 2015

Re: Search Companion Marketing - What is the Difference from Display?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Think of SCM like remarketing that is based on the user's search query rather than on their interaction with one of your links/pages/forms, and the user is only "remarketed" to for the duration of their session online.

In Display campaigns, any keywords you use in them only help narrow down the types of sites on which your ads will appear based on whether or not that site contains your keywords (this is called keyword contextual targeting). SCM keywords have nothing to do with the sites your target users end up on - instead, the selected keywords are matched to search queries users perform (just like a standard search campaign) and then qualifies these users to be shown your ads on whatever GDN sites they click through to - organic OR paid.

Fun stuff!

TIP: SCM works well with enhanced CPC bidding for lead generation, provided you have enough conversions for Google to track and optimize to.

View solution in original post

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello! Thank you for your reply.

I read both already and it didn't actually help.

I still can't see the difference between using Display segmenting by keywords and interests, and SCM :/

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Camila,

As you mentioned "Google has contacted us and offered a beta campaign" i would suggest you to contact google representative.
As this feature is available in beta and i have not run these campaigns yet so i am unable to explain this.

regards,
Rahul Goel

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Camila,

What I understand is,  search companion remarketing is a type of display campaign

And difference related to display campaigns with added keywords and SCM is

Display campaigns with keywords – It’s a contextual targeting. And based on what google considers as a theme of the websites based on contextual targeting you have used (here keywords), google will show ad on website if its eligible. You can see few details here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1726458?hl=en This may also include users who “searched” for the queries on Google.

Whereas SCM works only based on search queries performed in Google. So it will try to match only “search queries” user used. So when a user performs a search with some query and he clicks on any organic listing, based on the search intent, google will try to show ad on clicked page if it’s a part of GDN.

And it’s probably only related to keywords type contextual targeting and not interest/topics etc type of targeting as SCM considers only search queries performed.

Also SCM is based on current session of user only, so no browser history like display campaigns otherwise considers.

And user does not necessarily visit your website before displaying ad on organically searched website.

And this should probably help us avoid adding placements manually related to queries to certain extent. Fingers crossed till this feature is fully released because it’s been inbeta since long and lot has changed since then.

SJ

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camila K
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Think of SCM like remarketing that is based on the user's search query rather than on their interaction with one of your links/pages/forms, and the user is only "remarketed" to for the duration of their session online.

In Display campaigns, any keywords you use in them only help narrow down the types of sites on which your ads will appear based on whether or not that site contains your keywords (this is called keyword contextual targeting). SCM keywords have nothing to do with the sites your target users end up on - instead, the selected keywords are matched to search queries users perform (just like a standard search campaign) and then qualifies these users to be shown your ads on whatever GDN sites they click through to - organic OR paid.

Fun stuff!

TIP: SCM works well with enhanced CPC bidding for lead generation, provided you have enough conversions for Google to track and optimize to.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you, everyone.

Your replies enlightened me a bit Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi, there are two types of network of adword one is Display and another is companion network. Companion network which display the text add on top of the search engine result pages. and Display which can display the banner, poster, image add in the website.. its a main differance

Search Companion Marketing - What is the Difference from Display?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In a very simple words, SCM ( Search Companion Marketing) is for targeting people who have searched your keywords and they will see your display ads through the related blogs,News etc.

When you are going to launch the campaign, then you will see the keyword setting;

where you need to select 'content' and feed your own keywords so that you can target easily.