AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

[Scripts] Adding negative Keywords to Broad-Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we have split our campaigns in Exact and mod. Broad variants. Therefore, we need to add all Exact Keywords as negative Keywords to the Broad variants. We also need to sync Exact and mod. Broad Keywords for both Campaign variants.

As this is quite a task... is there any way to get this done by a Script? My fear is, that Scripts are not powerful enough to handle an Account with more than 500 Campaigns and more than 150,000 Keywords.

Can you give me your assessment?

Or is there a script available in the depths of the internet?

Thank!

Regards,

Martin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: [Scripts] Adding negative Keywords to Broad-Campaigns

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Martin,

It is not a script, but you can via advanced search in Adwords editor filter all keywords with exact match.

Then export this current view to .csv!

Open .csv and replace exact match with negative exact in whole export.

Then you need to change ad group names according to yours.

So for example if you have ad group Shoes exact for exact match and ad group shoes broad for broad match, then you replace word exact for broad. It really depends what names do your ad groups have.

After it's done, it's ready for import and you have your negative keywords in exact match in correct ad groups and you don't need script for thatSmiley Happy

Best regards,

Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Martin, 

The first question I have to ask is why do you need to add all exact matches as negatives?  This is a fairly common suggestion you'll find online but to be honest, it's not something I'd recommend.  Google has very sophisticated algorithms for choosing the best Keyword for a given search term so forcing a match in this way can actually lead to increased CPCs and lower performance. 

My honest advice would be to run both match types and not to use negatives and to allow AdWords to assign matches as their algorithms see fit.

However, if you do really want to do this - and it would be against my recommendation - then it would be reasonably easy to create a script to do this for you.  Extracting existing Keywords and changing their match type is no more than a few lines of code.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Sorry Martin, I should add that 500 Campaigns and 150K Keywords is well within the capability of a correctly configured script.   The key point being "correctly configured".

Jon

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hey Jon,

I've just heard the other day from Google Account it's not a bad strategy and they recommend us using it.

So just out of curiosity, have you tested it? Had it as bad results as you said?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Alex, the question is, what are you trying to achieve with this approach?  Let's say you have two Keywords in two Groups, [red shoes] and +red +shoes.  Both have the same Max CPC and appear to have the same QS, Ads and landing pages.  The only time that both these Keywords can be a match for the same search term is if that search term is itself red shoes.  In this case, Google is most likely to match against the exact term in any case, since we know that their matching algorithm gives initial priority to the Keyword that matches the search term exactly (which both do) and then an exact match Keyword over any others, see here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

When both Keywords are the same, the only exception where Google might match against +red +shoes would be if that Keyword had a higher Ad rank in the auction, which we want, don't we?

So in short, letting AdWords do it's thing is going to match against the exact term anyway most of the time and when it doesn't it'll be because the choice it makes is a better one.  Why would you want to stop that?

Personally I think the use of this technique has become confused because there are situations where you might want to use a negative Keyword to block matching of another Keyword in your Account, but it doesn't apply when the Keywords are the same.

For example, say our Keywords were [red ballet shoes] and +ballet +shoes.  In this case, you might want to prevent red ballet shoes matching against the Modified Broad term because you send the exact term to a landing page that shoes only red shoes, whereas the broad term lands on a page showing all the shoes.  However, even in this case, it's highly likely that given the search term red ballet shoes AdWords will match against the exact match anyway, so even here I'd say it's unnecessary work.

Have you ever seen a good explanation of why someone would want to force this algorithm?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot for your answers.
@Jon: Yeah, you are right. Unfortunately, it's not practicable for us to keep the bids in a way that the exact match always gets an higher ad rank. We need to go with the negative keywords in the broad campaign.

I was afraid, that there is no finished script there yet.. although, it's a quite popular way to cluster keywords like this.

So, you would say it should be able with a script as long as it's correctly configured?
Is there a community, which takes contracts for AdWords Scripts?

Martin

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Hi Martin,

Did you ever find a script for adding exact match keywords as negatives in broad match ad groups?

Thanks,
Brad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brad,

I have never found one, but we created one internally a couple of month ago.
It most definately saves you a lot of time!

Martin

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Brad M I'd encourage you to read my other replies in this thread (you probably have).  I still (18 months later) haven't seen a good reason for blocking exact matches in a broader match group (unless in the situation I described in my last post).

Do you have a good example of why this would be necessary?

Jon