AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Script For Pausing Budget For Cumulative Cost Of Multiple Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of a script that I can use to have AdWords pause a group of campaigns once their cumulative cost has hit a certain amount? 

Example:

Total budget: $1,000

Campaign 1 Cost: $500

Campaign 2 Cost: $300

Campaign 3 Cost: $200

Script - Cumulative cost has hit $1,000, therefore pause campaigns.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
June 2016

Re: Script For Pausing Budget For Cumulative Cost Of Multiple Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Sean G if it's a one-off run of $10k, then you probably don't need a script but could achieve what you want with automated rules.

If, for example, you know you want Campaign A to spend $4000, Campaign B, $3500 and Campaign C $2500 in total, you could just create an Automated Rule for each Campaign to pause when the total spend reaches the relevant amount.  If you find any of the Campaigns aren't spending enough (or are spending too much) you can adjust either your daily budget or (if it's early enough in the run) edit the Rule(s).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sean
On mobile so won't go into script solution until later but have you considered shared budgets? That's how we achieve this and it removes the complexity of working about a script Managing it.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sean G are you looking for a an unlimited spend until the budget is spent, or do you want to manage a $1,000 budget over the course of a month?  From an AdWords point of view, if you have a fixed spend, it's usually better to spread it out a little, rather than simply trying to spend it as quickly as possible.  AdWords performance can vary dramatically from day to day, week to week so if you spent all your budget in just a couple of days, it could be those days were the ones when nobody felt like buying.  Spreading the cost across a whole month (as long as you can gather statistically significant data) may allow you not only more chances to convert, but also to see possible conversion trends.

@Dave_Davis shared budgets only really work when it doesn't matter (or you don't care) what each Campaign spends.  In this case it looks like  Sean wants control over the split of the spend as well as controlling the cost.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Jon_Gritton I have a fixed budget of $10,000 to spend over the course of about 5 weeks across 3 campaigns. I considered using a shared budget, but that $10k is not split evenly between the 3 campaigns. I'm looking to setup a script where once I've hit a collective $10k between the 3 campaigns, those 3 campaigns will pause. I setup my daily budgets accordingly, but I'm basically trying to safeguard myself from not spending over the $10k in case I don't catch it in time.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Sean G if it's a one-off run of $10k, then you probably don't need a script but could achieve what you want with automated rules.

If, for example, you know you want Campaign A to spend $4000, Campaign B, $3500 and Campaign C $2500 in total, you could just create an Automated Rule for each Campaign to pause when the total spend reaches the relevant amount.  If you find any of the Campaigns aren't spending enough (or are spending too much) you can adjust either your daily budget or (if it's early enough in the run) edit the Rule(s).

Jon