AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Same words but different match option in one ad group

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I have several keywords with same words but under different matching options.

For example...

+buy +red +apple

"buy red apple"

[buy red apple]

If these are all under one same adgroup, what happens? I noticed that one keyword had considerably higher CTR than the rest and I was wondering if putting the same keywords under different matching options have some negative effect on the ad group.

Kevin

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Same words but different match option in one ad group

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kevin P,

Welcome to the community.

I will encourage you to read the following article.You will get your answer.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kevin,

I'll often use all the match types for a keyword within the same Ad group and there are very few negatives to it.

Each match type will perform differently so you will want to bid differently on them. You may find that your exact match has a high CTR and low cost/conversion but fewer clicks and impressions where your broad and phrase will pick up on a lot of the additional traffic but will usually have a lower CTR.

Once you have some data to work with you'll be able to see performance differences in the match types and you can make changes based on these. One area to be looking at is the search terms report which you will find under keyword details on the keywords tab. You can select a few keywords or all and it will show you the actual search query the user entered and which of your keywords triggered your ads. Very good for getting negatives to add as well as finding new keywords to add. 

Google will use the keyword with the highest ad rank (QS x Bid) to decide which keywords triggers the ads and if you have 2 match types that are eligible normally (not always) the more precise match type is used.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kevin P,

Welcome to the community.

I will encourage you to read the following article.You will get your answer.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Kevin P !

"If these are all under one same adgroup, what happens?"

They are displayed for different queries. 

"I noticed that one keyword had considerably higher CTR" , was it the exact match ? It is a recommended "good practice" to have different bids for the different match tyopes in this order : higher for exact match, lower for phrase match and a little lower for modified broad.

"I was wondering if putting the same keywords under different matching options have some negative effect on the ad group"

Yes, you will have a hard time optimising this kind of organisation of keywords, but as discussed in many topics like the one bellow, your keywords QS won't be affected by the ad-group splitting in match-types.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/should-we-use-all-match-type-in-a-single-a...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kevin,

I'll often use all the match types for a keyword within the same Ad group and there are very few negatives to it.

Each match type will perform differently so you will want to bid differently on them. You may find that your exact match has a high CTR and low cost/conversion but fewer clicks and impressions where your broad and phrase will pick up on a lot of the additional traffic but will usually have a lower CTR.

Once you have some data to work with you'll be able to see performance differences in the match types and you can make changes based on these. One area to be looking at is the search terms report which you will find under keyword details on the keywords tab. You can select a few keywords or all and it will show you the actual search query the user entered and which of your keywords triggered your ads. Very good for getting negatives to add as well as finding new keywords to add. 

Google will use the keyword with the highest ad rank (QS x Bid) to decide which keywords triggers the ads and if you have 2 match types that are eligible normally (not always) the more precise match type is used.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin, I'll second everything Adam has said.  Many of my Ad Groups have different match types for the same Keywords and I've never seen a problem in doing so.

The only real exception is where you want to use Dynamic Keyword Insertion in your Ad copy.  Since this works best when the inserted Keyword makes some form of sense within the rest of the wording, it's only really useful when combined with Keywords that are Exact matches or possibly Phrase.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits