AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Same keyword, different ad group. Is it ok?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Basically i am using an exact match currently:

[buy cats]

but want to experiment for --buy cats-- with phrase match or broad match

What is the protocol here? Can i leave the exact match alone and add another adgroup called buy-cats-broad to experiment in which ill add the keyword --buy cats--- only set it to broad or phrase? Wil google see this as a duplicate?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same keyword, different ad group. Is it ok?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You can leave them all in one adgroup. There is a priority order in which searches will land on your keywords.

If they type the exact match, you will have an impression for the exact match an none for the phrase or broad.

And for a phrase match but no exact, yoy will have an impression on the phrase keyword an none for the other 2.

There is also a nice debate about grouping according to matching here

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Question-about-priority/m-p/55134/highlight/true#...

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also read this enlightning article here, to learn gaining time with the Adwords Editor

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Same-key-words-with-different-match-types/ba-p...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There's nothing preventing you from putting those other-type matches in separate groups. I just never do it that way as I really never saw the benefit. It's actually more work and more cumbersome since you have three times the number of groups. There's no protocol, just your personal preference.

What happens is that the system tries to find the best fit of your keywords to the search. If someone searches for "buy cats in chicago", the software looks for exact matches [buy cats in chicago] keywords. If it does find it, it will use it because that's the best possible. If not, it will look for a phrase match and if it doesn't find that, look for a broad match, modified version first I believe. In this example, your phrase match "buy cats" will trigger, no matter the group it's in. Technically, they are all different keywords. Same words, different types. So would "buy cat" in the singular be a different keyword.

What you should avoid is the same keyword in the same match type in two or more groups.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello;

Many versions of this topic have been discussed on the community. I picked 3 discussions that summarize the topic;

Look at Pete's answers in the following discussions;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To sum up : 

Same keyword, different ad group. Is it ok? and Will google see this as a duplicate? 

- No it is not ok, same keyword = duplicate keyword, you can find the duplicates fast with the Adwords Editor.

Right Moshe ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

What about using the same ad in different ad groups ? Could it be a problem ?
(I plan to test some keywords in broad match to add alternative keyword to my current keyword pool.)

Regards

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Duplicate Ads are not a problem like duplicate keywords . We could discuss a lot about if they are useful or not , but for this you can open another thread / question. About the broad match I would recommend BMM instead of simple broad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok thank you for your quick answer. The ad duplicatiion is going to be temporary, as the broad match. I want to find some synonyms, that's why i'll stick with the broad match for a while (but I also have a "broad" list of negative keywords in order to avoid massive waste of money). Smiley Wink

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Actually, there's no problem at all with duplicated one ad in multiple Ad Groups. In fact, when an ad has performed exceptionally well for you, it can even be considered a Best Practice to test that same ad text with a different group of keywords.

Since you've already prepared a robust list of negative keywords to help focus your broad match keyword searches, it sounds to me like you're running a very smart test.

Be sure and let us know how it works out! Woman Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*