AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Same Keywords Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have to create campaigns (display network) for one of my clients.

I have similar products, but I have created different campaigns with different ad groups.

His products are cosmetics so I have used the same keywords on multiple campaigns and ad groups.

One example is "skincare". Is this bad? I know that this can harm me if I was on Search Network because the same keywords will compete against each other, and the better-performing keyword triggers your ad. But it's the same on Display Network?

My campaign is more brand awareness oriented so I try to reach a bigger audience. If I go very specific my reach is very low.

So my final question is bad if I will use the same keywords: e.g. "acne" , "skincare" on different campaigns or ad groups?

Thanks in advanced, any help or suggestion would be more than appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same Keywords Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

As you correctly pointed out keywords work differently on the display network;

On the display  keywords work collectively as a theme to be matched to relevant pages.

So, if you have different adgroups, for different product, but all (products) related to the same category, you could use the same keywords.

Note that 10-20 keywords will do the job of  "defining  a theme" - you don't need more.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Although the way how Search network and Display network works is different, but certainly using the same keyword across different Display campaigns or Display ad groups might be tricky. That's my understanding.

Taking a slight different strategy, you should try and use more generic keywords related to your client's business. This would help Google's Display targeting methodology to show your ads to the wider range of placements. As you know that you can bid specifically on Display Network keywords, which was not possible sometime back. So fine tuning your campaigns based on the keywords which work best and keywords which are not performing, you can use this network to reach more audiences. Find more details here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497680?hl=en

Also as you said that you want to increase the Brand awareness, so you might think of CPM model of bidding which is specifically to improve Branding online for your products. Find more details about CPM bidding here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472725

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Another question that popped up in my mind was:

If I have 2 different types of banners (images) for the same product ( Segment A - 1 image banner type at different sizes and Segment B - 1image banner type at different sizes) It's OK to create Ad Groups for each segment (using the same keywords) or I can create only one Ad Group with all the banners?

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Dragos;

If you have the time and could put the efforts, I would recommend different ad-group (at least) for the big banner because they "ocuppy" / capture more ad slots and thus the CPC is higher,

Since your bid is per ad group and not per (a single) ad,  the method to do that is by creating a different ad group for the bigger banners, (but, as said, this is a time consuming work)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks. so bottom line it's OK or is not? because at this point I have two quite different opinions ...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for your time Moshe

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I'll check tomorrow with @pankaj1782 why he thinks that might be" tricky" and we'll get back to you.

I think we  take different approaches here - both could be used. There is no "correct" strategy.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I  asked @pankaj1782 :

He referred to the option of bidding per keyword on display, while I was referring to the whole set of keywords work collectively as  a theme. If you bid separately on specific keywords you might give advantage to an ad in a "different ad-group".  (Due to  higher ad-rank).

I rarely bid on specific keyword on display. (The idea there is  that within the set of keywords, the bid is attributed to a "leading keyword" within the set.)