AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Same Keyword in broad and exact

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Does it make sense to have the exact same keyword in broad and exact in a campaign?

For instance one adgroup with the keyword in exact another agdrgroup with the keyword in broad?

If yes, why, what are the advantages? Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Same Keyword in broad and exact

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Semnews,

There was a nice discussion on this just last week you may find useful. 

There are many varying perspectives on this.  Some say put the same keywords with varying match types in the same ad groups.  Others say to NOT do that and then employ negative keywords so you can isolate the more specific match types and not not run into the "This keyword is being triggered by another ad group messages". 

Personally, I will always explore multiple match types and as the keyword lists are refined, the best performers, based on your overall goals, are the ones that eventually make the cut.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello semnews;

This is (literally) a "broad "topic. Here are some earlier discussions on the community, that you may find helpful.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

This is a very interesting topic and keeps coming up every now and then.

Here is an interesting thread which might help you

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/should-we-use-all-match-type-i...

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Semnews,

There was a nice discussion on this just last week you may find useful. 

There are many varying perspectives on this.  Some say put the same keywords with varying match types in the same ad groups.  Others say to NOT do that and then employ negative keywords so you can isolate the more specific match types and not not run into the "This keyword is being triggered by another ad group messages". 

Personally, I will always explore multiple match types and as the keyword lists are refined, the best performers, based on your overall goals, are the ones that eventually make the cut.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello SemNews,

Both broad and exact match works differently. If you will only keep Exact match keywords you will miss out on the other opportunties. Exact match only shows query when exactly same term searched by a user. While broad match also shows related searches, and other relevant variations.

I do agree that broad match can bring lof ot irrelevant terms as well but to protect yourself from irrelevant terms you always can run search query report and add all non-related terms as a negative.

I prefer to keep them in the same adgroup but keep broad keyword bid less as comapre to exact. 

If you are keeping broad and exact match keyword in different adgroups, then  suggest to add negative keyword at adgroup level otherwise keywords will conmpete with each other.

Edit: I was busy in writing and everyone else posted. So fast! Smiley Happy

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello semnews;

This is (literally) a "broad "topic. Here are some earlier discussions on the community, that you may find helpful.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found that breaking the keywords into 3 groups branded, branded long tail and non-branded works well.  In the branded group I use the branded keywords in exact , phrase and broad match.  The phrase match will give you additional long tail branded terms to add to your campaigns and you can find these converting keywords under the dimensions tab by choosing the view option "search terms".  The broad match will give you some additional converting non branded terms and you can also find them under the dimensions tab by choosing the view option "Search Terms" .  Hope this helps!!