AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Running Adwords Campaigns when site is slow or down,

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it a good practice to pause the adwords campaigns temporarily when your site is down? If you don't pause them, what is the downside?

Thanks,

Richa

Edit:

Thanks to everyone who replied! A few follow-up questions :

As we are paying for clicks and if the site is slow or down, we do end up paying more for a conversion. But maybe it's a short term impact? A slightly longer term impact if we pause the campaigns could be increase in CPC or decrease in CTR as bounce rate increases and ad position drops? (I think the latter has happened in my account as CPC has increased for some campaigns after I paused them for a few hours).

So is there a trade-off between short term conversion cost if you let the campaigns run and more longer term increase in CPC (or decrease in CTR) if you pause the campaigns. What factors could determine whether you should let the campaign(s) run or pause them? Could these be:

1. Size of the campaign (Daily spend)?

2. Site downtime ?

3. Any others?

Is there a thumb rule to guide when you should pause and when you should let them run? Could some more people share their experience as Rakesh did in his reply?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Running Adwords Campaigns when site is slow or down,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Richa,

I would definitely pause your AdWords if your website is down. Since every person who clicks on your ad cost money there is no point to bring people to the website if they can't see anything. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Richa B, 

Welcome to adwords community, 

Let me clear one thing you are promoting your website for branding or conversion. Once your website is slow, you will pay only for clicks. not for conversion. So its good practice to pause your campaign. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Richa,

I would definitely pause your AdWords if your website is down. Since every person who clicks on your ad cost money there is no point to bring people to the website if they can't see anything. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Richa B, 

Welcome to adwords community, 

Let me clear one thing you are promoting your website for branding or conversion. Once your website is slow, you will pay only for clicks. not for conversion. So its good practice to pause your campaign. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Richa,

Its not always a good practice to pause the adwords campaigns.
If you are running the CPC & Enhanced CPC,campaigns then its Good.But If you are running the campaigns in CPA and DCO mode.It will give you negative impact.
I have faced such cases several times.
Even i have contact to Google teams but they also said that don't pause/reduce the budget of your in DCO and CPA campaigns, if you know your website will be Up within 1-2 days.

Thanks.
Rakesh Kumar

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your reply!

Could you explain more about the negative impact?

-Richa

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Richa,

The campaigns After resuming the DCO and CPA campaigns, it does not get same traffic as it receives before pausing the campaigns.

Because DCO as well as CPA campaigns work when it has enough traffic and perform on the same Traffic as well as Conversion.

This the negative impact i have seen in my DCO and CPA Campaigns.

Thanks,
Rakesh

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’