AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Run keyword planner on ongoing campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can you run Keyword planner on an ongoing campaign?

E.g. if we make larger changes or have optimized an account for some time we would like to run it in Keyword planner again since the tool give valuable data. Is that possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Run keyword planner on ongoing campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, welcome to the Community.

You can run the Keyword Planner whenever and as often as you wish.  You decide which Keywords you add to your Campaign(s) and when.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
But can you import the keywords and settings from an ongoing campaign and then update them? As far as I see you can import the keywords by copy paste the list but then you have to create a duplicate and delete the current. Isn't there an easier way? There should be an option to import an existing campaign so that you can experiment with budget and additional keywords and see estimations.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again, I'll admit I'm not sure how you're using the Keyword Planner, I don't really understand why you'd want to import your existing Keywords...  The Keyword Planner is primarily about adding new Keywords, not manipulating existing ones.  You could, I suppose, import your existing Keywords to compare estimated traffic but bear in mind all figures in the Planner are just estimates so it's usually better to judge existing Keywords by their actual "live" performance in your Account.

You can add Keywords suggested by the Planner to existing Groups, it's an option when you click "Save to Account".  Beneath the options for creating a new Campaign is the link "Add to an existing Campaign".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I have the same question as the original poster and would like to know if anyone else has an answer to the question.

For myself, the reason why I'd want to import the keywords from my existing campaign is because I have not started running my campaign yet. As such, I have basically zero data but I would like to see how well my current choice of keywords will perform (using the Keyword Planner).

Thanks in advance.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, that is what I would like to able to. But it doesnt work it seems. About the option 'Save to account' I'm aware of it but if you like to extend a current campaign your only option is to create a duplicate or delete the old one. If you save to the campaign you get duplicate keywords, and you cannot overwrite. I would find it useful if the tool had the option to, as with keywords via list, import keywords via campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, I have the exact same problem as you and I did create another thread about it. One way I've used to overcome the duplicate problem is to search for new keywords one ad group at a time. Then, I add the new keywords to one of the existing ad groups. This method would not work if you search for multiple ad groups at one go because all the keywords from different ad groups will be lumped under one ad group in your existing campaign, which doesn't make much sense.

Hope that someone out there will be able to answer both of our questions!