AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Rule to pause campaign when cost exceeds $100

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am new to setting up Rules to automate campaigns. I am trying to verify if whatever I have done is right.

I have a campaign that runs throughout the day. I would like to pause it when the cost for day goes beyond $100. 

So I have this rule. 

Automatic action: Pause campaigns
Requirements: Cost > 100.00
Frequency: Daily 12AM using data from Previous Day
And I have created a rule with the same Requirements for for every hour of the day. 
is this right or am I making it complex ? 
Any Insights will be appreciated. 
thanks
Kumar
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KumarChan
September 2015

Re: Rule to pause campaign when cost exceeds $100

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah okay, I understand now. Including every hour like you have done is the safest option, sometimes advertisers will break it up slightly less, every third hour for example. It is also worth setting a rule to enable your campaign just before it's scheduled to run the next day also to make sure it doesn't remain paused.

There are some good rule examples on this link.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Kumar,

Welcome to the community.

The first rule looks correct, I'm confused to why you are duplicating the rule for each hour of the day though?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

A note when selecting the frequency says "Note that a rule can start running at any time within the hour you select." Doesn't this means then the cost exceeds $100 during a later hour, the rule won't run to pause the campaign. ?

thanks
Kumar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KumarChan
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah okay, I understand now. Including every hour like you have done is the safest option, sometimes advertisers will break it up slightly less, every third hour for example. It is also worth setting a rule to enable your campaign just before it's scheduled to run the next day also to make sure it doesn't remain paused.

There are some good rule examples on this link.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Scott. I am going to do that rule to enable campaigns like you have suggested. I have also set up email notifications every time the rule runs so that any changes that the rule would have made will be known.

I appreciate it !