AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Rotate Indefinitely and DKI Headlines

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

We have a campaign that has run for a few months, set to Rotate Indefinitely from day one.

There are a dozen ad groups and 11 are rotating ads evenly.

One ad group is not rotating evenly, and it is the only ad group using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion).

The 2 ads with DKI headlines have had 33,500 impressions between them. The other 6 ads, non-DKI, have had 1,000 impressions between them.

Has anyone come across this glitch before?

BTW, one other person has had the same thing happen:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Rotate-Indefinitely-not-Working-w...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rotate Indefinitely and DKI Headlines

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I guess this is because ads without DKI have much lower ad rank.
You can go to Ads tab and use Keyword / Placement segment to check position of ads for keywords in ad group.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi there;
"Rotate indefinitely" does not necessarily mean that all ads will be getting the same level of exposure. It means that the lower performing ads will get a "boost", and will be shown more, compared to a scenario of showing them based on performance.
So, if you have an ad which performs really badly, this "boost" will not be able to bring it to the level of impressions that other ads might get.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
@MosheTLV - do you have a source for this, or is it just from your own experience?

If this is true, then there is no way no 100% manually optimise ads?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@RobSkelton;

"With the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6034106

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was experiencing this issue as well! Looks as though this explains it though, thanks @MosheTLV.

(shame I can't just have my ads rotate evenly though)