AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Rotate Indefinitely: 10x Impression Difference

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am seeing a wide gap between the ad with the most impressions and the rest of the ads in an ad group using Rotate Indefinitely:

uneven-impressions-rotate-indefinitely.png

The time frame I'm looking at is 6/1 - 6/14; the reason I'm selecting this period is that Ad 1 above was introduced into the account on 6/1. All of these ads were enabled during this time frame. "Rotate Indefinitely" has been the rotation setting during this entire time frame.

The ad copy is very similar among the four ads. They are all ETAs. None use DKI. I've checked the Device, Network (with search partners), and Top vs Other segments to see if the ads are being served unevenly in some segment, but the percentage distribution in those segments is similar for each ad.

I see that the first ad is typically served in a higher position than the other three, and I've read discussions that state that this type of scenario is indicative of an ad with a higher Quality than the others. I've also read that the Rotate Indefinitely setting ensures that the ads enter the same number of auctions, not the same number of impressions. Is it true that given the above, these four ads entered the same number of auctions, and Ad 1's "Quality" is so much higher than it placed in 10x more auctions than the other ads?

With very similar ad copy, a previously enabled Rotate Indefinitely setting, and higher CTRs reflected in every other ad, how do I understand what makes this ad special? Where do I look?

Thank you in advance!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chet,

That does look a bit strange. Are you using any automated bid strategies? Enhanced bidding?

It also seems strange the add with the lowest CTR would have the highest QS.

Have you looked at a shorter date range, like the last three days? Is the trend the same?

I'm sorry, I'm not much help here.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Rotate Indefinitely: 10x Impression Difference

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

>>"With the rotate evenly and rotate indefinitely options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete, thanks for the reply!

This campaign has Enhanced CPC enabled via the campaign settings but is not using a shared bid strategy. Reviewing performance data for the last 3 three days, the general trend is the same: 10x impressions for the top ad, although in this time frame it has the second lowest CTR of the four ads and the second lowest Average CPC.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe, thanks for the tip.

While the "may not be perfectly even" language might in some sense cover a situation where one ad is receiving 10x the impressions of another, I doubt that this language was written to cover such a scenario.

It also doesn't follow that the ad with 10x impressions is of higher Quality than the other ads. Consider that the ad copy is extremely similar. If the ad copy were markedly different, with DKI or other keyword-related content in one ad but not in the other, higher Quality would make sense. Or if the ad with 10x impressions had a much higher CTR, indicating a high relevance to the search, that would make sense. But there's not a metric or attribute I can point to for this ad that indicates that would be the case. One might respond "Well, the fact that the ad has 10x the impressions of the other shows it has a higher Quality." But that's circular reasoning: "The ad shows more because it has a higher Quality. I know it has a higher Quality because it shows more."

But say I follow along and agree that "We can deduce that the ad with 10x impressions must be of a higher Quality than the other three ads despite having a lower CTR, similar ad copy, and having been introduced into an ad group which already had Rotate Indefinitely enabled."

What metric or attribute can I use, other than the ridiculously uneven impression shares, to determine the Quality of my ads?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Chet D;

Just to clarify: I quoted Google; This is straight from the horse's mouth. Smiley Happy

I think the issue here is the ad-quality. Ad quality is the "real time calculation of QS". (While QS is a more general average score). Google does not disclose the components  and the formula of the ad-quality.

Now if the ads have a similar  text, as you mentioned, does it really make a difference which ad is shown?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I've found this annoying in my a/b testing as well.  I want EVENLY.  Not kind of evenly.  LOL.  I haven't found a solution to it either.  Just switching between "rotate evenly" and "rotate indefinitely"

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I know you're quoting Google.

Yes, it makes a difference which ad is shown because I am testing the effect of small variations in ad copy. I'm trying to use Rotate Indefinitely to achieve equitable impression distribution among the ad copies.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Chet D,

As I recall, Enhanced CPC bidding interferes with even Ad Rotation. I'd try turning it of for this campaign and see if your impressions are more even. This will affect all ad groups in your campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords