AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting to users who perform specific search queries

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi there!

So, I keep reading that users who type a specific query can be retargeted to. Based on that, I understand that if I were to type "ladies shoes" and click through anywhere on the SERP but my listing (organic or paid), I can get retargeted to via display by people offering ladies shoes.

Now, how would I go about creating a list of these users who perform queries that I like, and show them display ads? I can't seem to find an explanation on how to do this. Or maybe my understanding is flawed. 

Can someone please guide me?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Retargeting to users who perform specific search queries

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Mark.

This feature was never available for AdWords retargeting. There used to be (and probably still are) retargeting solutions available that can track search queries on certain properties (though not Google.com) and then retarget you accordingly, but this approach was never available for AdWords.

Also, in the past, Google used to pass search queries in the URL and in case the website to which you clicked after typing in "ladies shoes" had a tracking script in pace from a retargeting provider, it might have retargeted you. However, Google no longer passes the search queries in referral strings so this approach doesn't work anymore.

What you're saying works if:
- the search is performed on a property which has the retargeting script on it and can set a cookie
- the search is performed on a property that sends the search query to search results, which have the retargeting script and can set a cookie

But, like I said, it didn't and does not work with Google and AdWords.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

Remarketing lists for search ads and remarketing for the display network are two different ways of retargeting.

With remarketing lists for search ads you can target a previous website visitor based on their search queries when they search on Google.

Using remarketing for the display network, you can retarget a previous website visitor when they browse websites which is part of the Google Display Network.

Find more information in the links.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222

Deepak

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
You are looking for Exact Match Keywords in adwords. Please read https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497825?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Where are you reading this?
Google does not refer (since April 2014) queries from ad-clicks, under secure search.
Read more:
http://googleadsdeveloper.blogspot.ca/2014/04/security-enhancements-for-search-users.html
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Mark.

This feature was never available for AdWords retargeting. There used to be (and probably still are) retargeting solutions available that can track search queries on certain properties (though not Google.com) and then retarget you accordingly, but this approach was never available for AdWords.

Also, in the past, Google used to pass search queries in the URL and in case the website to which you clicked after typing in "ladies shoes" had a tracking script in pace from a retargeting provider, it might have retargeted you. However, Google no longer passes the search queries in referral strings so this approach doesn't work anymore.

What you're saying works if:
- the search is performed on a property which has the retargeting script on it and can set a cookie
- the search is performed on a property that sends the search query to search results, which have the retargeting script and can set a cookie

But, like I said, it didn't and does not work with Google and AdWords.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Thanks guys!