AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting not serving ads or only text ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a two-part problem with my retargeting campaigns.

First, the audience we created for an ad campaign in German speaking European countries took really long to get over 100 for us to start the retargeting campaign (now its 120, but it took like two months to reach that number). Now I have created a retargeting campaign, but it does not serve any ads, no impressions, no clicks with both text and image ad approved. What can I do?

Secondly, on another retargeting campaign has both text and one image ad, yet when I go to test it, I only see text ads appearing in all kinds of sizes, image does not show on any of the sites with Adsense. Yet in the ADW reports, I can see that both image and text have made impressions and clicks, but now I can not see any image advertisements. Any suggestions what went wrong?

Thank you for the help!

Miha Skulj

https://si.linkedin.com/in/mihaskulj

Re: Retargeting not serving ads or only text ad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Miha,

To answer your first question, I guess maybe your retargeting list membership duration could be 30 days. This means that some of the users who were part of the list might not be members of the list which actually makes the list size low.

If the membership duration is 120 days or more then I think the bids could be low because of which the ads might not be serving.

Regarding the second question, since the report shows impressions for both text and image ads means that both the ad formats are served. I would recommend try doing a test from a different computer or browser.

Thanks,
Rahul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Rahul and thanks for the help!

Regarding my first problem; the retargeting list has duration of entire year of 365 days, so I don't think that is not the problem. Only if 365 days memebership duration is too long and I should shorten it for better performance?

I also set quite a high bid for a click (around 2€) to see the ads at least starting to pop up for our audience.

Thank you in advance!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Miha,

Since the membership duration is 365 days, I think the ads should start serving.

Regarding the performance, since I am not sure about your product strategy i can't tell whether shortening the membership duration can bring better performance.

Generally it makes sense to have a membership duration of 30 or 60 days so that you can retarget the ads to customer and make them a potential buyers of your product. Personally I don't think 365 days membership duration as a good strategy because it doesn't make sense to show the ad throughout the year because it gives a bad user experience and sometime could bring a negative affect to the brand.

Thanks,
Rahul