AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day, can you direct me on the following please?

When someone types my URL directly and lands on my site, I want text and image ads follow my website visitors around the internet after they leave my site. So if prospects don’t take the desired action (fill out a form, buy, etc.) on my website the first time, I stay in front of them until they do.

I called adwords and he said you MUST have the visitor come from a banner ad he clicked on in order to get to your site and then he can be remarketed to...

I want to know if there is a code I can put on my site so that if people see my ad offline (postcard, ad in magazine) when they type my URL they get tagged and followed through ads I create for the display network...hope this makes sense and thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Regards,

Francois

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Retargeting code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Well, you were told wrong... remarketing code will track all visitors to your site no matter the original source.

you can then segment this traffic - slice and dice it as you wish to configure different groups to whom you might want to remarket - for example, you might want to track only those visitors who saw more than three pages, or who live in France... and if you want, you can target only those visitors who arrive at your site from a specific campaign or ad for that matter (using advanced segments in Analytics) but the idea that you can only remarket to people who visit your site from an advertising banner is simply not true......

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Steve. So the guy from adwords is misinformed with what he told me.
Thanks for getting the record straight,
So this brings the next step:
Now can you please direct me where to get those codes or to learn how to do what you mentioned ( I love the advanced parts you mentioned).
Thanks and once again much appreciated.
Regards,
Francois

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
One of the simplest ways to get started with remarketing by segments is to make sure you have Universal analytics installed on your site. Once you have this then any segment you can develop within Analytics can be turned into a remarketing list for use in AdWords.

You need to make sure that the accounts are linked, and that you share the lists with your AdWords account - but it can generate some really interesting lists which means you can target them more effectively with your ads and your landing pages.

One small word of warning - if you generate your remarketing lists in GA you cannot use them for RLSA campaigns - I learned that the hard way.