AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am currently setting up a retargeting campaign for a client. This client has a booking process with 6 stages. I wish to target those who have gotten to step 1-5, and then exclude those who have got to step 6 (the booking confirmation page).

However the difficulty I am having at the moment is that the url of each step changes depending on the users choices. Also, the confirmation url has unique tagging on it each time.

This is the first retargeting campaign I have set up - would really appreciate if anyone has any advice on this!

Many thanks

Emma

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Retargeting Issues

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Emma,

Pankaj is right on here, a custom combination will work perfect for your situation.

The idea here is to add the Remarketing audience code to ALL of the potential pages that could occur in steps 1 - 5 first and then add a second Remarketing audience code to the final confirmation page.

This setup should give you two lists:

List A - Customers who made it through steps 1 - 5.

List B - Customers who made it through all 6 steps.  This is your converted list.

Then what you can do when you set up your campaign is to create the custom combination and say target those users who are on List A but NOT on List B.  This will leave you targeting just the users who visited your steps 1-5 pages and never converted.

Depending on how many products/product categories you are working with, there always lies the possibility to take Remarketing to a very granular level and tag users based on the products they are viewing etc.  The only downfall to using varying codes across the sites is managing the user lists as some users could end up on many or all of the Remarketing lists due to browsing the site but not converting.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EMCL
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emma,

I believe your major problem is that your shopping cart pages have dynamic URLs. Most pages such as these, tend to have static portions that load irrespective of the user's choices. The key to the kind of remarketing you want to implement is, to find the static portion of the code on these pages and insert the remarketing code there. After this is done, you can include those users who have landed on the steps 1 to 5 and exclude those that have landed on step 6 as mentioned in the posts above.

Any web developer will be able to help you out and such remarketing is possible. 

Hope this helped.

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Emma,

According to my understanding you should create custom combinations of your remarketing lists. For that while creating custom combinations, you will add people who visited the website but not who went to the final booking confirmation page. 

See this excellent video example for setting up custom combinations below:-

Hope this helps!
Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Emma,

I think you should exclude the audience who visit your last or 6 step page. but i want to suggest you that you should target particular landing page for particular keyword/product because the person to whom you targetting is already a visitor of your website so insted of showing him other pages which are not related to keyword/product don't target that landing page because it'll may astray your client.

One more tip is that make ad-copies like thanks for visiting again or anather look so it'll looks better.

Have patience and continuing test ad-copies, creative landing page.

Regards

-Vicky

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Emma,

Pankaj is right on here, a custom combination will work perfect for your situation.

The idea here is to add the Remarketing audience code to ALL of the potential pages that could occur in steps 1 - 5 first and then add a second Remarketing audience code to the final confirmation page.

This setup should give you two lists:

List A - Customers who made it through steps 1 - 5.

List B - Customers who made it through all 6 steps.  This is your converted list.

Then what you can do when you set up your campaign is to create the custom combination and say target those users who are on List A but NOT on List B.  This will leave you targeting just the users who visited your steps 1-5 pages and never converted.

Depending on how many products/product categories you are working with, there always lies the possibility to take Remarketing to a very granular level and tag users based on the products they are viewing etc.  The only downfall to using varying codes across the sites is managing the user lists as some users could end up on many or all of the Remarketing lists due to browsing the site but not converting.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EMCL
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emma,

I believe your major problem is that your shopping cart pages have dynamic URLs. Most pages such as these, tend to have static portions that load irrespective of the user's choices. The key to the kind of remarketing you want to implement is, to find the static portion of the code on these pages and insert the remarketing code there. After this is done, you can include those users who have landed on the steps 1 to 5 and exclude those that have landed on step 6 as mentioned in the posts above.

Any web developer will be able to help you out and such remarketing is possible. 

Hope this helped.

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all the replies will be looking into them in detail tomorrow!

Emma

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all thank you for all your replies. 

Heta - you have hit the nail on the head with the fact my main issue is the dynamic urls. You're information is much appreciated. However thanks for everyones input as the more qualified advice I get the better!