AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Restructuring account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I need to totally restructure my whole account. My current ad groups need to become my campaigns, and I need to divide my keywords into smaller more targeted groups. Do you have any tips on how to do that efficiently? Is there any way to re-do the whole structure without having to delete the keywords and ads that I already have? As you understand I also have a lot of data connected to the keywords and ads, which I dont want to lose.

I hope my question is clear. If anything is unclear, please ask. I would be grateful for any help I can get!

Thanks guys.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PetyaSim
September 2015

Re: Restructuring account

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi PetyaSim,

as Dave_Davis mentioned, AdWords Editor is a good tool. Sometimes we use Excell to reshape the structure.
But there is no way to preserve the statistics.
You coud pause all old campaigns and the data will be preserve.
You could also leave the best performing Keywords in the existing adgroups, but rename the adgroups and campaigns. This will preserve the Keyword statistics.
Analytics changed lately so all the renamed campaign statistics will stay preserved (http://analytics.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-adwords-integration-platform.html?m=1) after renaming the campign name.
So , leaving KW in adgroups, rename adgroups and rename Campaigns and you will not loose your data.
If you move keywords from adgroups, the data will be lost.

My advise - pause the old campaigns and rebuild the new structure from scratch using AdWords Editor.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Petyasim,
Welcome to the community.

This is a great idea and is the approach we take when we take on nearly any account. The more specific your adgroups are, in general, the better.

For this exercise, make sure you're using AdWords editor. It will make your life easier: http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Regarding your ads, if you "move them", essentially what's happening is that they're deleted and created again. this is just the way AdWords works. If you want to maintain your historical data for these ads, you can pause or delete these ag groups and just refer back to them.

Creating new campaigns and adgroups, there's no way around it, you'll be creating new ads.

Use this as an opportunity to pick the best performing ad from your old ad groups and test it against a new one. The next time you do this ad testing, you'll most likely (hopefully) have gotten rid of the old one because your new ones are better.

Best of luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave_Davis,
Thank you for the answer. I understand all that. What I still dont know is if I can move keywords between adgroups and even campaigns in order to keep the data I have by now, or thats not possible either?
Maybe I should just manually save the data up to this point, delete everything, and start from scratch?

Thank you!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PetyaSim
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi PetyaSim,

as Dave_Davis mentioned, AdWords Editor is a good tool. Sometimes we use Excell to reshape the structure.
But there is no way to preserve the statistics.
You coud pause all old campaigns and the data will be preserve.
You could also leave the best performing Keywords in the existing adgroups, but rename the adgroups and campaigns. This will preserve the Keyword statistics.
Analytics changed lately so all the renamed campaign statistics will stay preserved (http://analytics.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-adwords-integration-platform.html?m=1) after renaming the campign name.
So , leaving KW in adgroups, rename adgroups and rename Campaigns and you will not loose your data.
If you move keywords from adgroups, the data will be lost.

My advise - pause the old campaigns and rebuild the new structure from scratch using AdWords Editor.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Regardless of whether or not you move/pause/delete a keyword (or an Ad Group), your data does not disappear. Although the keyword starts over at '0' in the new spot, the historical performance data stays in the original Ad Group.  

If you change your 'view' on the keyword tab to include "deleted" elements (and set the 'view' window to a time when these keywords were gathering data), you will always be able to see that data. 

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all the answers! Its all clear now!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mvarga,

Thanks for the update related to Restructuring the Account (or) campaign, I have one doubt on this for restructuring my campaign , after Pausing the old campaign, FYI my old Adgroup in single campaign have more than 50 keywords in a single adgroup, likewise there are certain Adroups with many keywords. Overall nearly 300 keywords working on that old campaign. I taught of restructuring the campaign , In what metrics i have to look out for restructuring for new campaign from old campaign adgroups like Clicks, Impression, CTR or Conversion, Cost, Quality Score ? Much Awaiting for the reply.

Thanks in Advance
Dhanasekar