AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Restricted by targeting?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I often notice that some campaigns do not run well because the campaign do not triger ads for the loaction specific keywords even if the campaign is targeted to larger location. for instance a campaign targeted to India was not showing ads for the keywords "trip to rajasthan" & "rajasthan tour package". I tried changing advance location settings but it did not work. The keywords started running ads only after adding rajasthan as a target location along with India.

At that time i resolved the concern but even now i fail to understand as why this happened? Were we making any mistake in campaign setting.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Restricted by targeting? /Geo targeting India

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again waasif

• How are you checking ads impressions / shown? - Are you using the "preview tool "or running a report?
  • If you target India, your ads should appear to all those located in India, or who are searching on India (based on your keywords!)
  • In India you can target by regions (=states?). Why won't you try to target by "location and by intent" : Rajasthan

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Restricted by targeting?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Waasif

It is a strange point your brought across, but as advertisers we all observe and troubleshoot strange aspects of advertising programs which come across each day.

Coming back to the problem,what I think is that instead of adding "rajasthan" as a location target one would want to "exclude" the particular location because frankly as an user point of view how many people within "rajasthan " would want to buy a tour package wihin "rajasthan" itself??..Max they would stack up futile clicks to just gain more information on what they already know..Anyways,you are an expert in your domainSmiley Happy

You mentioned that you added "rajasthan" along with "india" in the location targeting. It's a "redundant targeting" already,didn't you get the alert message when you were adding it?

The amazing part is that the keywords started triggering the ads when you did so! What I personally feel is that its not because of the changes you made. Is it a new campaign in your account we are discussin about? 

Best

Mudit

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just to add, what made you say that the location specific keywords were not triggering the ads?..Were you checking the "preview and diagnosis" tool or you noticed the keywords not stacking any statistics before you added "rajasthan" to the location targeting along with "India"?

Thanks

Mudit

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Mudit,

Yes you are right i got the message of redundant targeting & i saved it anyways & only then i could show my ads for location specific keywords. I was strange for me even. ideally the ads should appear for location specific keywords in India. I forwaded the concern to help centre aswell but unfortunately could not get any followup mail.

Excluding rajasthan could not serve me any purpose because my intention was to show ads to anyone anywhere in india seaching with these keywords. I used "ad preview & diagnosis tool" but it said "the location term in the keywords is restricting the das to appear"

You are right again, As an expert i mange so many campaigns & obvserve so many problems. I feel the adwords community is best way to share your experience & learn from others. This is why i am sharing these experiences with all you friends & expecting observations & suggestions from the experts like you. 

Thanks

Wasif

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

waasif_;

Have you considered my suggestion (my first reply ), to target Rajasthan by location and by intent?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Wasif,could you just mention the advanced location targetings active in the same campaign as well as the geography you are targeting and any exclusion(if there) presently!

Thanks

Mudit

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Mudit,

Now the campaign is set on default advance targeting. campaign is targeted in India + rajasthan and no location exclusion selected. Earlier i tried changing the options but nothing worket out. The campaign is working fine now with this setting so i thought not to experiment more with the campaign & let it optimize for maximum conversion.

Thanks,

Wasif

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Moshe,

Hope you are having good time. Well Rajasthan was not my targeted location. The campaign was to run in India & Rajasthan is one of the state in India. Now the setting of my campaign is as

Targeted Location : India + Rajasthan

Advance Location Options: Default 

Since this setting is doin fine with this setting so i thought to concentrate to optimize the camapign for conversion & do not experiment with settings anymore.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Wasif

Thats great if the campaign is working as you want it to be. But I asked you before also that before you added "rajasthan" to your targeted locations when you saw that the location specific keywords were not trigerring your ads, did you see any impressions in front of those specific keywords?

And did you try searching for those keywords on the google domain (though its not prescribed but still I dont mind for troubleshooting purposes)?

Really keen!

Best

Mudit