AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Removing Duplicate Ads within Ad Groups...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

There used to be an Adwords Editor function to remove identical ads with Ad Groups.

Given that the function is gone, does anyone know of a workaround to identify and remove duplicate ads within ad groups short of ad-by-ad manual deletions? 

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBUILDERS
June 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

There was never such a function (I would know - I've worked on Editor development team since 2005). There's a function to find duplicate keywords - you might be thinking of that one.

There's a trick to find (what Editor believes to be) duplicate ads. Export the ads in question to CSV, e.g. via Accout > Export > Current view. Open the file in Excel or similar, and place some text (any will do) into Comment column of every row. Import the file back into Editor.

As a result, for every group of identical ads, one will get the comment and the others will not. That's because Editor will see two identical rows in the CSV, and assume they both apply to the same ad; it will pick one from the group essentially at random.

Now you can sort by Comment column; ads with and without comments will end up grouped together. Or alternatively, search for

comment=""

(all rows with empty comment). Then you can select all such ads and delete them.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBUILDERS
June 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

There was never such a function (I would know - I've worked on Editor development team since 2005). There's a function to find duplicate keywords - you might be thinking of that one.

There's a trick to find (what Editor believes to be) duplicate ads. Export the ads in question to CSV, e.g. via Accout > Export > Current view. Open the file in Excel or similar, and place some text (any will do) into Comment column of every row. Import the file back into Editor.

As a result, for every group of identical ads, one will get the comment and the others will not. That's because Editor will see two identical rows in the CSV, and assume they both apply to the same ad; it will pick one from the group essentially at random.

Now you can sort by Comment column; ads with and without comments will end up grouped together. Or alternatively, search for

comment=""

(all rows with empty comment). Then you can select all such ads and delete them.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This worked.

I would bet a large sum of money that the delete duplicate ads function existed in AW Editor at a point in time perhaps more than 2 years ago.  

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn