AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remove Redundant Keywords Opportunity

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I recently got an opportunity in the new AdWords interface to "Remove Redundant Keywords".

I was very surprised to see it since I was under the impression that redundant keywords is not a bad thing, and can even do good for your campaign.

I'm fully aware of close variants of exact and phrase matches. I understand that a [dog walker] will also generate the term: dog walkers.

I was under the impression that quality score is measured on an exact match base (without close variants). In other words, a click on 'dog walkers' will not attribute score to [dog walker].

Is it good to have redundant keywords? If not, why? If yes, why does AdWords give me an opportunity to remove them...? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Studio P
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It was discussed here just yesterday. Add the plural keyword if it makes sense - often the plural implies purchase intent while the singular implies research.

In the long-term I'm pretty sure what Google want to do - Super AdWords Express. You provide the website and some lines of ad copy, and some images, and Google AI spins out multi-format ads and sorts out bids etc automatically.

AdWords is full of features, and Google's next goal is to slowly replace them with AI. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Studio P
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It was discussed here just yesterday. Add the plural keyword if it makes sense - often the plural implies purchase intent while the singular implies research.

In the long-term I'm pretty sure what Google want to do - Super AdWords Express. You provide the website and some lines of ad copy, and some images, and Google AI spins out multi-format ads and sorts out bids etc automatically.

AdWords is full of features, and Google's next goal is to slowly replace them with AI. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for the quick reply Rob! 

Maybe you can explain a few more questions in the same subject: 

- Will a singular keyword, generate plural search term as much as plural keyword?

(If both are in the same AdGroup and have the same ad/landing page)

- What about a misspell? Should I include those as well? (assuming the misspell terms does not have low search volume)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There's generally no need to add misspellings, as Google is good at matching them (and the low search volume you mentioned).

As long as Google is counting the singular and plural as variants (I'm sure there are some out there where the plural has a different meaning...), it doesn't matter whether you have either as the keyword, or both. Your ads will still get the same amount of impressions

The only reason for having both is to measure performance separately, and adjust bids accordingly.