AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have been looking to create a remarketing campaign.

Is it possible to bid & run only Remarketing on the Display platform? If yes, how?

Secondly, what is the difference between "target & bid" & "bid only" settings?

Would appreciate clarity on the matter.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vineet,

Many people on this forum can and will give you more detailed answers, but for now I can give you a quick overview answer.

1. Yes you can run remarketing on display only (in fact, this is the only way, for the moment)

2. You need to first create a remarketing list by going to the audiences menu item within your shared library (found via the main navigation on the left side of AdWords interface). To create your list you need to get a new tag from this location and place it on every page of your website. You then give it some time to build up data on your users. Thereafter you can create custom audience lists if you like, based on this information. For example you could say you want to create a list of everyone who visited the home page but did not reach the order confirmation page. Once your list / audience is ready you need to create a campaign with ads, and then apply the audience to the campaign / groups within the display tab.

Please see proper explanations from Google below:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064?hl=en-GB

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454003?hl=en

3. Please see an explanation of target & bid settings here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en-GB

I hope this helps some, and someone else can provide clarity where I am rough.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just two small additions :

1)    "in fact, this is the only way, for the moment"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

"

• Remarketing lists for search ads: Show ads to your site visitors when they search for what they need on Google. Expand your reach with additional keywords, set bid adjustments for people who have visited your site, and tailor your ads to them."

I have audiences also in the Search campaign, it was rolled out to all the advertisers.

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/06/bringing-intent-context-and-audience.html

2)    " create your list you need to get a new tag from this location and place it on every page of your website."

This is one way , you can also use the modified analytics remarketing code to have the remarketing created for all users who visit the site, even organic visitors.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's a good amendment Adrian. As I typed that part I knew in the back of my head to check is search was enabled for remarketing as I knew it was coming, but hadn't seen it in my accounts yet.

Have you used it? Results??

Sent from my iPhone
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About his question with the difference for target and bid or bid it is a good question since the info bubble does not explain much

target-and-bid-audience-search.png

For now I have no ideea how to use RLSA, I have only seen that you can add an audience to an existing Ad Group from a search campaign to what purpose it is not yet clear .

And the only audience that was build was the one from the remarketing  tag from adwords with the rule based audience building. The other audiences from analytics or from the remarketing tag without rules have numbers only for the display campaign column .

I have created earlier today a thread to ask why the analytics remarketing code did not build an audience too :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/List-size-for-search-with-rule-based-audie...

Curently I use the RLSA in a situation when a friend of mine wanted to exclude all the previous visitors in order to get in the search campaigns only "new visitors" and it worked in 95% of the cases. From a 15-30 % returning visitor rate it dropped to a less than 5 %.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Back to vinneet's question "Is it possible to bid & run only Remarketing on the Display platform? If yes, how?"

You setup the campaign and click on "Interests and remarketing" near the "Placements" and add there your remarketing list without any other targeting . This way all the time a previous visitor searches for anything in the GND he can receive an Ad from your campaign. You can limit this via frequency capping.

I create many audiences with various durations, other than the default 30 days.

For example I have a list for "all visitors" from the last 30 days, then one for 60 days, 90 days and so on until 540 days which is the maximum. This way I can target visitors from 6 months ago when I had a type of discount by combining ( the 180 days list - the 150 days list) and send them a similar discount.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are targeting only leads the best way to use remarketing is to use the analytics doubleclick code for remarketing and create Goals like "who visited the site more than 30 seconds" or "who reached the page with the prices or the contact page".

Then when you go in adwords in "Tools and analysis / Conversions" you have a button to "Import conversions from analytics" and you will be able to import all those Goal completions as conversions, discovering what keywords generate the most conversions and thus optimizing your entire keyword structure.

I also like to bid 30% more than the top of the page bid via automatic rules just for the keywords with the most "last click conversions"

Now back to remarketing, you can remarket only to these visitors who stayed on the website for at least 30 seconds or who completed an analytics Goal of visiting a strategic page.

Also you can refine placements that receive clicks in the Remarketing campaign, and delete irellevant placements like game sites or just use the "below the fold" category exclusion to get a better CTR :

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks everybody for your inputs.

Post your comments, I created the Remarketing Campaign & I think I got it right, but I am not sure.

Can someone please have a look at the attached image & confirm that my Remarketing campaign is up & running? Do I have to do something else?

I also notice that it shows 260 in the Google Display List. I think it's equal to the no. of clicks (display + search) that the site has received since the code was installed. But why is the Google Search section blank?

Thanks in advance to all.CaptureList.JPG

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Remarketing to all your visitors is a waste of time.

That list is good for excluding it in the Search campaign, using the Audience + Exclude options.

You must learn to use custom lists, for example one list for visitors who reached a strategic page and another list of visitors who spent 0 seconds on your site.

You must be creative in brainstorming different remarketings ads to them. To those who are already interested in your offer by reaching a page or spending more time on the site you can present them discounts or special offers and to those who visited 0 seconds try a new approach with a tottaly different message than the initial ads.

To have a list with visitors in the "Search " column start a list based on rules like "Rule1 = who visited page x", at least this is what worked for me.