AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing vs. dynamic remarketing tag

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I am wondering how we can set up both a dynamic remarketing campaign and a traditional display remarketing campaign within the same account.

I understand that for the dynamic remarketing we need to place a specific tag across the website with the custom parameters. However, as we don't need these custom parameters for the display remarketing campaign, how do we create the tag needed for this?

In the account, it looks like we only have the option to view/set up the dynamic remarketing tag.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing vs. dynamic remarketing tag

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi there,

Great question! So if you already have a regular remarketing tag and a Google Merchant Center account (which is required to use Dynamic Remarketing), you can make a few changes to your existing remarketing tag to start using dynamic remarketing.

First, you'll need to add another piece of code to your tag: the google_tag_params section.

When you add the google_tag_params section with the recommended parameters to your site-wide tag, the four remarketing lists automatically created to be used with your dynamic remarketing campaign will start populating. If you already have the google_tag_params section in your tag, make sure the recommended parameters are implemented. If google_tag_params is not present, add this section with parameters before the tag code.

Here is a link with instructions on how to do so:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3103357

And here is the link to the article I referred to in regards to your original question, since it provides more details on the implementation (see the section called Upgrading to Dynamic Remarketing):

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476688

In terms of campaign set up, to begin, you must link your Google Merchant Account to your AdWords account. Then you can follow the instructions in the link below on creating the new remarketing campaign and selecting it as Dynamic. For the regular remarketing campaign, you can just create a separate standard remarketing campaign within the same account. So you will end up with 2 remarketing campaigns in total, one dynamic and one regular remarketing in the same AdWords account.

Here is a link to the article on setting up a Dynamic Remarketing Campaign for your reference:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3122586?hl=en

I hope that makes sense Smiley Happy

Thanks and have a wonderful day,

Kristin

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kristin

Thanks for your reply and all the info!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Kristin,

It helped a lot me too & I gone through all links on adwords help which you have shared BUT still I have a question on dynamic remarketing tag:

How I need to use this code:

For example I only want to run dynamic for products:
<script type="text/javascript">
var google_tag_params = {
ecomm_prodid: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
ecomm_pagetype: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
ecomm_totalvalue: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE'
};
</script>

If I use custom tagging like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
var google_tag_params = {
ecomm_prodid: '123',
ecomm_pagetype: 'product',
ecomm_totalvalue: '99.00'
};
</script>

But here I am targeting only one products, How can I target 1000's of product with same code, can you give exact code what should be placed on all product pages?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All,

I'm looking to implement this myself within the company I work for. I'll be presenting the idea to our developers next week.

@sundeep I believe that the parameters 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE' section has to be dynamically populated on each page.

So, for home page you might have ecomm_pagetype: 'home', where 'home' is dynamically added depending on the script that is written for the page. ecomm_pagetype might equal something else if it's a product page for example.

The point is 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE' needs to be replaced depending on existing conditions on a page, whether you use JSON (javascript object notation) or macros through Google tag manager.

The exact code would depend on your site. It would be easier if you are using a CMS, as templates for product, category etc could have the relevant code added to populate the custom parameters based on sections of your pages.

For example; you might have a section on a product template page that contains the product ID. This product ID could be assigned to the ecomm_prodid parameter, so regardless of what product page you are on, the relevant product ID is going to be sent to the ecomm_prodid parameter.(assuming you have written the code to do this)

Sorry I can't give you an example of the code you'd need, but I'm not a programmer and this is my basic understanding of whats going on here.

Take into account that when you have this in place you will need a Google Merchant Center account with an up to date product feed in place, in order to benefit from dynamic re-marketing. (product ids must match the feed product ids).

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Rob