AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for a little advise on Remarketing tags, I have the tag set up from analytics but the adwords tag shows the following;

There are problems with some of your custom parameters for Retail (AdWords)
The tag is active but we found some issues with your custom parameters.
Check that all your custom parameters are implemented correctly. Custom parameters are necessary to enable dynamic remarketing. 

Custom parameter "ecomm_prodid" and Merchant Center feed values don't match
Values for "ecomm_prodid" should match item identifiers in your Merchant Center feed.
The value of the "ecomm_prodid" parameter being passed to the remarketing tag is incorrect. Your tag's "ecomm_prodid" value needs to match either the "id" or "item_group_id" of the product in the connected Google Merchant Center account. 
Some values for the custom parameter "ecomm_pagetype" are missing

Custom parameter "ecomm_totalvalue" is active

Currently working on a Magento site version 1.7.0.2.

Any help will be well received

Regards

Stephen

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen H
March 2017

Remarketing tags

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hey Stephen, solution is quite simple. IDs of products that you are passing to your dynamic remarketing tag must be the same as in your product feed in Merchant Center.

Regarding parameter ecomm_pagetype, you can find all values here: https://developers.google.com/adwords-remarketing-tag/parameters

You can use as many as you can for your website. This is not required parameter, but I would recommend at least product, cart, purchase to get started.

Tomáš

View solution in original post

Remarketing tags

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Stephen

Each product in your e-commerce store require additional tags with parameters to recognize and link with your feed file. You have to add these parameters: "ecomm_prodid" to each of your products with this same value like in your feed.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen H
March 2017

Remarketing tags

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hey Stephen, solution is quite simple. IDs of products that you are passing to your dynamic remarketing tag must be the same as in your product feed in Merchant Center.

Regarding parameter ecomm_pagetype, you can find all values here: https://developers.google.com/adwords-remarketing-tag/parameters

You can use as many as you can for your website. This is not required parameter, but I would recommend at least product, cart, purchase to get started.

Tomáš

Remarketing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tomas

Not to clear on the above, new to me.

Please could you go into a little more detail?

Cheers

Stephen

Remarketing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it actually necessary to add the custom parameters? I have installed the code on our website and the remarketing list seems to be growing regardless of the custom parameters.

Additionally, I am simply using the "Custom Audiences" to target certain pageviewers which seems to correlate nicely with the same numbers of viewers shown in GA.

Remarketing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello - how did u do that - pls advise.

Remarketing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looking into again, it does seem that I did use custom parameters through Google Tag Manager, but I will explain the process anyways for those looking to do the same.

Prerequisites:

- Google Tag Manager installed in site header.

- Google Adwords Accounts (grab Conversion ID)

Step 1) In Google Tag Manager create a new tag, and select Adwords Remarketing and place the Conversion ID where it asks.

Step 2) For the "Custom Parameters" it asks for change from "None" to "Data Layer Variable" and voila! (I chose {{Page URL}} because the site doesn't have a ton of pages, and the main pages are quite industry specific as to the audience they would attract.)

TO TRACK VISITORS TO SPECIFIC PAGES OR PAGE TAXONOMIES

Step 3) Go to Google Adwords "Audiences" under the "Shared Library" tab, and select "+ Remarketing List" and "Website Visitors". From here you can specify "URL Contains .... " and place a the defining term that you want to track.

For us we wanted to segment based on type of products or blog articles viewed, and abandonment pages. So for us the terms were "Server", "Temperature", "Cold Storage", "Laboratories" for product view tracking, as well as "cart", "checkout", "request quote", and "contact us" for abandonment tracking.

BONUS: The GTM "Page URL" data layer method allows us to add additional conditions to the audience from the Google Analytics filters "Build Audience" which allows us to further segment these Pageviews by Country, Length of Session, Goal Conversions, and such.

The one drawback I can see with it, is finding a method to remove members based on further actions such as a purchase. But making the "membership duration" set to automatically remove members after a length of time does help cull the list.

Its not a perfect system but it does seem to work, and easy to setup.

Remarketing tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the same problem. Are the quotes supposed to be in the code?  For example: ecomm_prodid: "1268"  or  ecomm_prodid: 1268  

Otherwise,  my product Id's DO match, regardless of what the notation says.

Remarketing tags

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies. It is always best for each member to create a new thread. 

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.