AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing tag/setup for 2 sites (but 1 AdWords account)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm trying to setup remarketing but am a bit unsure of the exact technical setup. Here is my situation:

I have 2 websites - www.website.co.uk and www.website.de 

I have 2 Analytics accounts - 1 for UK version and 1 for German version.

I have 1 AdWords account - With campaigns for the UK and German website in the same account.

In AdWords in the shared library I created 2 audiences - 1 for users that visited the UK version of the website (but not a confirmation page) and 1 for users that visited the German version of the website (but not a confirmation page).

I'm a bit unsure as to how this setup will work - surely I couldn't add the remarketing code to both websites because they have different Analytics codes?

Appreciate any help

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt T
January 2016

Re: Remarketing tag/setup for 2 sites (but 1 AdWords account)

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hey Matt,

That's ok. I think it's a little easier to do through Analytics since you don't have to set up additional code, but if adding code to both websites is not an issue, you can do it through the AdWords code just fine!

Since each AdWords account comes with just one remarketing code, you would actually add that same code to both websites, using the instructions included in the code when you grab it from the shared library. Then you will create (if you haven't already) two separate lists in your Shared Library: one with the rule that visitors on the list visited site with URL X, and the other with the rule that they visited URL Y. You should then have two separate lists of two separate remarketing audiences for your two language sites, which you can target in respective remarketing campaigns!

Does that make sense?
Cassie

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting to the Community! If you are setting up remarketing through Google Analytics, you should not need to add any additional code to your websites at all. You can create your remarketing lists in Analytics, link the Analytics accounts to the one AdWords account, and then set up two Display campaigns for remarketing to each audience separately, with appropriate location targeting.

There are complete instructions here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611268?hl=en

Let me know if you have any questions!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cassie,

Thanks for that. Currently I'd set the remarketing up through audiences defined in Google AdWords.
Maybe it would have been better to do it through Analytics instead?

Thanks,
Matt
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt T
January 2016

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hey Matt,

That's ok. I think it's a little easier to do through Analytics since you don't have to set up additional code, but if adding code to both websites is not an issue, you can do it through the AdWords code just fine!

Since each AdWords account comes with just one remarketing code, you would actually add that same code to both websites, using the instructions included in the code when you grab it from the shared library. Then you will create (if you haven't already) two separate lists in your Shared Library: one with the rule that visitors on the list visited site with URL X, and the other with the rule that they visited URL Y. You should then have two separate lists of two separate remarketing audiences for your two language sites, which you can target in respective remarketing campaigns!

Does that make sense?
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cassie,

Yes that's great, that's the setup I went with in the end - thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Matt

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Awesome. Glad to hear it worked out!