AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing settings and set up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client has duplicate keywords in two campaigns - one of the campaigns is a remarketing campaign but it has keywords, and set up for Search Network with Display Select - All features. According to Google: (found on https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000?hl=en&ref_topic=3122875,)

Note

If you have a "Search Network only - Standard," "Search Network with Display Select," or "Search & Display Networks - Standard" campaign, you won't be able to add remarketing lists to your campaign.

remarketing 

1. Are the keywords in the two campaigns competing against each other? Is this remarketing campaign really a combination of search, display and remarketing? 

2. Settings do not allow for display network only - unless you allow for them when you convert to search network with display select.

3. How do you recommend I set up these campaigns for the clearest line of sight and management? 

4. Why can't I change my display network bid anywhere obvious, like the display network tab? Is it no longer possible with the display select "upgrade'?

Please advise, 

Nicole

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicole O
September 2015

Re: Remarketing settings and set up

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

First I would like to explain what is the Search with Display Select:-

Search with Display Select campaigns can be useful for two advertisers:-

1.) Advertisers who have some "extra" budget on search, that is not exhausted, and want to try and spend it on text ads in on the display
2.) Advertisers who don't want to get into the complexity of the setting a display campaign.

Also this type of campaign has some limitations:-

1.) It only accept Text ads.
2.) the Priority of budget is given to Search network.
3.) Display networks works mainly contextual targeting.
4.) You cannot choose the separate bid for display network.

Now here you can find your questions:-

#A
Are the keywords in the two campaigns competing against each other?

Case -1:-Display Network

As far as the display campaign is concerned, the keywords will not compete to each other.
And also you have one campaigns is Remarketing with keywords and second is normal keyword campaigns for display(Search with Display Select). In this case your keywords will not compete to each other. But still I would suggest, if you are already running Remarketing campaign, so I don’t think keywords are required in this, as it will reduce your reach, it will only shows your Remarketing ads on the sites that matches with contextual targeting, if I presume you have set the "Target and Bid" in ad groups.

Case-2:-Search network

If you have Remarketing for search campaign and set “Bid only”, then here your keywords will compete to with the normal search campaigns keyword.

#B
Is this remarketing campaign really a combination of search, display and remarketing?

In Order to run the Remarketing campaigns, I always run the different campaigns for search and display networks. As it helps a better campaigns management and budget allocation.

Note:-Search network with Display select only allows you to run RLSA (Remarketing for search networks) not the Display Remarketing.

#C
Settings do not allow for display network only - unless you allow for them when you convert to search network with display select.

Yes, once you select the Search with Display select, you can change it into Display only campaigns. As i have already explain this is good for small advertisers who spends only search but want to reach Display campaign network audience.
#D
How do you recommend I set up these campaigns for the clearest line of sight and management?
In order to better optimization, create separate campaigns for search, display and Remarketing. It will help you to manage budget allocation as well.

#D
Why can't I change my display network bid anywhere obvious, like the display network tab? Is it no longer possible with the display select "upgrade'?

Yes, in search network with Display select, you are not allowed to set the separate bid for display network. It consider only by default bidding in Display network of search network with display select.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Nicole,

If you have either Search and display network or upgraded campaign search with display select, you are not allowed to convert it into Display network you can only convert it into search that is described in the link.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicole - what's the other campaign type? Generally keywords in two campaigns targetting the same networks would be competing with each other.

Search and display select can't do without the search network. You'd have to change the campaign type to change network to display only.

Your campaign setup is really dependent on your advertising goals and requirements. I would approach the question isolated from the current account setup, because it seems to pose some problems.

I believe there's no seperate bid for display with the display select campaign type :s. As it says on the Inside AdWords blog, "If you currently run Search and Display campaigns separately, we recommend you keep them separate for greater bidding, budgeting and targeting flexibility.".

Hope that helps!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

First I would like to explain what is the Search with Display Select:-

Search with Display Select campaigns can be useful for two advertisers:-

1.) Advertisers who have some "extra" budget on search, that is not exhausted, and want to try and spend it on text ads in on the display
2.) Advertisers who don't want to get into the complexity of the setting a display campaign.

Also this type of campaign has some limitations:-

1.) It only accept Text ads.
2.) the Priority of budget is given to Search network.
3.) Display networks works mainly contextual targeting.
4.) You cannot choose the separate bid for display network.

Now here you can find your questions:-

#A
Are the keywords in the two campaigns competing against each other?

Case -1:-Display Network

As far as the display campaign is concerned, the keywords will not compete to each other.
And also you have one campaigns is Remarketing with keywords and second is normal keyword campaigns for display(Search with Display Select). In this case your keywords will not compete to each other. But still I would suggest, if you are already running Remarketing campaign, so I don’t think keywords are required in this, as it will reduce your reach, it will only shows your Remarketing ads on the sites that matches with contextual targeting, if I presume you have set the "Target and Bid" in ad groups.

Case-2:-Search network

If you have Remarketing for search campaign and set “Bid only”, then here your keywords will compete to with the normal search campaigns keyword.

#B
Is this remarketing campaign really a combination of search, display and remarketing?

In Order to run the Remarketing campaigns, I always run the different campaigns for search and display networks. As it helps a better campaigns management and budget allocation.

Note:-Search network with Display select only allows you to run RLSA (Remarketing for search networks) not the Display Remarketing.

#C
Settings do not allow for display network only - unless you allow for them when you convert to search network with display select.

Yes, once you select the Search with Display select, you can change it into Display only campaigns. As i have already explain this is good for small advertisers who spends only search but want to reach Display campaign network audience.
#D
How do you recommend I set up these campaigns for the clearest line of sight and management?
In order to better optimization, create separate campaigns for search, display and Remarketing. It will help you to manage budget allocation as well.

#D
Why can't I change my display network bid anywhere obvious, like the display network tab? Is it no longer possible with the display select "upgrade'?

Yes, in search network with Display select, you are not allowed to set the separate bid for display network. It consider only by default bidding in Display network of search network with display select.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I do not see where I can change the current campaign to display only. I've looked and looked. Again, it was search with display, I upgraded to display select and cannot find a way to change the settings to display only. I would not have had a question at all had I found where to change the network to display only Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Nicole,

You can not convert the search network with display select into search, you can only convert it into search campaigns.

Please find the more info in this link:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1) brand campaign>search and display networks
2) remarketing brand campaign>search and display select

a. They have the same keywords
b. I cannot switch the settings on 1 or 2 to display only, i.e., I cannot have one for display and one for search as I would like.
c. Should I pause 2 and change 1 to search with display select and opt for the display only campaign and add remarketing to that ?
d. If I do, how can I be sure the display only is ONLY remarketing thereby not competing with the display select which is PLACEMENT only?

Nikki

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you mean I cannot change the search network with display select into display only? If so, that is what I was trying to confirm. Very frustrating that I have to learn this after the fact. Google needs to provide more clarity and avoid using the word "upgrade".
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Nicole,

If you have either Search and display network or upgraded campaign search with display select, you are not allowed to convert it into Display network you can only convert it into search that is described in the link.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you think then that the campaigns with the same keywords , one brand search with display & the other brand search with display select and remarketing, compete with each other on the search network? Moreover, is it true that I do not have a remarketing campaign on the display network at all, rather I have two campaigns on search with the same keywords one of which is also a keyword search remarketing campaign?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good to know that there are no keywords in remarketing.