AdWords
943 members online now
943 members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing lists - Updating users parameters: membership behavior

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to find out how Google handles user membership to a remarketing list. I hope you guys can help me out!

I want to target campaigns based on the total value the user put in his basket on my e-commerce website.
So I created 3 remarketing lists :
A - $0 to $50
B - $50 to 200$
C - More than $200

These 3 remarketing lists are based on a custom parameter I've put in the dynamic remarketing tag called "basket_amount" which corresponds to the value of the user's basket.
This parameter is sent on each page the user loads. So when the user adds or removes products the value of the parameter basket_amount changes.

Finally the criteria of the remarketing lists are fairly simple : Visitors of a page -> Matches any of these conditions: basket_amount is less than 50 (for list A).

Now, let's imagine the user makes the following journey:
1- he put a $10 product in his basket
2- he adds a $150 product in his basket
3- he adds a $200 product in his basket
4- he removes the $200 product from his basket
5 - he leaves my website (with $160 basket)

First question:
At step 5 is my user in all the remarketing lists (because at some point he met the criteria of all the 3 lists) or is my user only in list B?

Second question:
How much time Google needs to take this into account. In other words, how long does it take to see the campaign show up in Google search after the user leaves the website?

Thanks your very much!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Machavia P
November 2016

Re: Remarketing lists - Updating users parameters: membership behavior

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Machavia P

The user behavior scenario you have presented can't actually be coped up precisely by the available options to build remarketing lists.

Even if you go with Custom Combination, it should filter such users from the list. 

Let's take an example, if you build a list with combination D = List C - B. In this condition, as the user is on both the lists, it will be filtered out of the list D.

Now to your next question, Google says to avoid adding overlapping lists to the same adgroup. Next, if you happen to use Bid Adjustments on the overlapping lists in the same adgroup, they do not actually modify bids, but works to prioritize which list to show ads to.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Machavia P

In the scenario you discussed, the user will be added to all three remarketing audience lists. Yes, as you said, the set conditions are being met. 

To your second question - 

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 11.47.59 PM.png

Source - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472738?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan,

Thanks for the quick answer!
How can I make the user be only in one remaketing list at the time. I don't want to bid the same way on a user that have $200 in the basket than a user that have only 10.

Especially if the user is in the 3 lists, I have not idea how Google will choose the campaign to show.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

You have to create custom lists.  So after you have list A, B, C, you then create Custom Combination lists - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

You would have list C to target the more than $200 in the cart.  Then you would create 2 Custom Combination lists:

1.  Custom Combination list B which you would configure as everyone that meets the B criteria and excluding those in list C

2.  Custom Combination A which is everyone that put something in their cart excluding those on list B & C.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Machavia P
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Machavia P

The user behavior scenario you have presented can't actually be coped up precisely by the available options to build remarketing lists.

Even if you go with Custom Combination, it should filter such users from the list. 

Let's take an example, if you build a list with combination D = List C - B. In this condition, as the user is on both the lists, it will be filtered out of the list D.

Now to your next question, Google says to avoid adding overlapping lists to the same adgroup. Next, if you happen to use Bid Adjustments on the overlapping lists in the same adgroup, they do not actually modify bids, but works to prioritize which list to show ads to.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you !

Too bad...