AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing list using tracking settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Is there a way to create a remarketing list using tracking settings? For example, can I create a rule-based remarketing list with the rule : URL has Campaign=name-of-the-campaign (which is a parameter of my tracking) ?

I know that it will be better to create the different lists with a rule based on the different landing pages but I can't do that as I only have one.

Thank you,

Alexandre

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing list using tracking settings

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your remarketing list using tracking settings, as far as I know its not possible to create a remarketing list using tracking settings. A remarketing list can only be make using a collection of cookies from people who visited your site. You can find out more about remarketing lists on our AdWords help section here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi 

Here is my assumptions and probable solution please correct me if i have assumed this wrong.

1. www.mywebsite.com?campaign-name=guitar this is your destination url and landing page is also same.

2. you created rules 

- URL Contains campaign-name=guitar

In which case any one who clicked on your ad and landed on your landing page www.mywebsite.com?campaign-name=guitar will be included in the remarketing list

I believe what JP was referring to for tracking settings is 3rd party tracking URLs which are 301 redirected from some other domain. If your destination URL and landing page are same then this is not a problem at all.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your remarketing list using tracking settings, as far as I know its not possible to create a remarketing list using tracking settings. A remarketing list can only be make using a collection of cookies from people who visited your site. You can find out more about remarketing lists on our AdWords help section here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John Paul,

Thank you for your answer. Maybe I wasn't clear enough when explaining the situation.

Imagine that the website is selling music instruments but that I can only use the home page as destination url. You have one campaign for each instrument and a tracking which includes the campaign names as a parameter.

Campaign 1 : Guitar
Destination Url : www.mywebsite.com?campaign-name=guitar
Campaign 2 : Piano
Destination Url : www.mywebsite.com?campaign-name=piano

In that case, I can't use the url of the website to create remarketing lists for each instrument but only the tracking parameters. It doesn't mean that people didn't visit my website.

Anyway, I read the help section and I think that my case is similar to "Websites without descriptive URLs". It says : "Usually, you can't use this type of URL to define remarketing lists" (meaning that you can't except if you change your code to do so).

What I now don't understand is that I created remarketing lists with rules such as 

- URL has campaign-name=guitar

- URL has campaign-name=piano 

This is not supposed to work but my lists are not empty. Do you understand why ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hmm... I think that the source of users on the list is from tags.
Let me ask a fellow TC to chime in here.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi 

Here is my assumptions and probable solution please correct me if i have assumed this wrong.

1. www.mywebsite.com?campaign-name=guitar this is your destination url and landing page is also same.

2. you created rules 

- URL Contains campaign-name=guitar

In which case any one who clicked on your ad and landed on your landing page www.mywebsite.com?campaign-name=guitar will be included in the remarketing list

I believe what JP was referring to for tracking settings is 3rd party tracking URLs which are 301 redirected from some other domain. If your destination URL and landing page are same then this is not a problem at all.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog