AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing list custom combination

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am confused by a small simple question. I want to creat a combination list targeting customers who have visited the homepage and at the same time registered. Should I just combine the two lists as the following, or should I "Add another" and put the Registration successful list as a new set? Are there differences between the two?

QQ截图20140307141053.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phoebe Dong
September 2015

Re: Remarketing list custom combination

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

For some reason I thought you wanted to target non-converted users, therefore my explanation was aimed at that.

After a more careful readding I understand that you only want to target already converted users.

My opinion : You also have to think of situations where a person buys products from multiple categories. 

How do you clasify these people, since they do not "belong to a product cateogory".

Instead of multiple thank you pages you have to find out if the thank you page URL includes some parameters such as /thank_you_page.php?pcat=1&pcat=2 , meaning a purchase of products from 2 categories. This is not a default setting, a programmer could have implemented these URL tags if you asked him/her to do it in order to apply remarketing to converting users.

Does this make sense ?

-----------------------------------------

Clasification 1 : based on visits of pages

If you use  which is "Visitors of a page who also visited another page". With this rule you can create a set of visitors who visited a certain category , let's call it "pcat_1" (this is short for product category) and who also visited the shopping cart. But there is no guarantee that they didn't also visit some other categories so the result is not what you want, a list of people who had in their shopping cart a product just from a category. 

If you had a page URL variable such as "shopping_cart_includes=pcat1" you could define a rule with the URL containing that string, which would be closer to what you want, meaning that the person had in their shopping cart products from category 1.

Clasification 2 : based on visits of pages from one category, excluding page visits from all other categories

A more complex "custom combination" would be 

1) Visitors of the second page AND

2) Visitors of the category A

AND none of the following audiences

3) Visitors of the category B

x) Visitors of the category x

With this you restrict the audience to people who already navigated only in the category A. and purchased. But you will be losing any of them who in their visit matched pages from other categories, so the resulting set is too small.

pcat - stands for product category

pname - must be a tag for product name

Regarding :

"I am wondering if this means I already have spereted tags for tracking paid buyer in each category?"

It could be true, but for this you have to ask the person who has set up these tags, they are not default.

How are you advertising in AdWords these products, is it through a Product Listing Ads campaign ?

-------------------

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Your setup achieves what you wanted.

The "add another" serves the purpose of intersecting your first segmented audience with another rule such as

"none of these audiences" to exclude from the set visitors of certain pages, or some other type of intersection using another rule.

You could have achieved the same set of visitors by combining :

- first rule "any of these audiences OR" Homepage 30

AND

- "add another" followed by selecting "any of these audiences OR" Registration successful 30

because this setup intersects the two sets of visitors , the rule AND is still applied between the two audiences from the second example.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply! I am doing remarketing for old customers to come back, there is one question that really annoys me. As I am doing remarketing based on visitors that have come to homepage, indidvidual product listing page, abandon cart page, register page as as well as pay confirm page. For buyers to return, I have already set up Pay Confirmation Page from 30 to 90 days. The question is, is it necessory to set up yet other campaigns to segment existing buyers, such as, visit product A page and pay, so that I could target the buyer to some specificly related or similar products? If yes, I am having competition among my own campaigns in retargeting existing buyers.

In fact, the remarketing campaigns I am having now are complicated with a lot of overlap simply because we target homepage, add to cart page ect. as a general basis for cookies, and at the same time target indidvidul categoires to segment customers.

Do you recommond to do this competition in between(the good point of doing this is you don't miss any of your customer) or you think it be better just retarget customers for once?

Thanks so much!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I think the forum has a bug and failed to post your message, but I got it on email so here it is 

"Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply! I am doing remarketing for old customers to come back, there is one question that really annoys me. As I am doing remarketing based on visitors that have come to homepage, indidvidual product listing page, abandon cart page, register page as as well as pay confirm page. For buyers to return, I have already set up Pay Confirmation Page from 30 to 90 days. The question is, is it necessory to set up yet other campaigns to segment existing buyers, such as, visit product A page and pay, so that I could target the buyer to some specificly related or similar products? If yes, I am having competition among my own campaigns in retargeting existing buyers.

In fact, the remarketing campaigns I am having now are complicated with a lot of overlap simply because we target homepage, add to cart page ect. as a general basis for cookies, and at the same time target indidvidul categoires to segment customers.

Do you recommond to do this competition in between(the good point of doing this is you don't miss any of your customer) or you think it be better just retarget customers for once?

Thanks so much!         "

Hello,

I think it is best not to miss any of your customers, but you can set separate ad groups, because audiences for remarketing represent a targeting at the ad group level, not at campaign level. To limit competition you can use identical bids per ad group,  or just set frequency capping of a number of impressions per week or month , per ad group , to level up the impression share per user between ad groups .

For example if you use a frequency capping of 10 impressions per ad group per user per month, if an ad group has a higher bid it will only draw impressions to it faster and when the cap is triggered , the other ad groups will serve impressions.

I would also recomend excluding the audiences which you use in remarketing from the normal Display Campaigns.

If there is something that I missed from your message, i will be happy to follow up until it is all clarified 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot! I think making frequency capping will be very helpful in my case for overlaped audiences. I don't put much budget on Display, so no worries on the overlap between display and remarketing.

As I am making list combination for existing buyers, another question came over. If, for instance I am targeting customers who have bought Category A or we say paid for Category A, is it ok to make the audience combination as this: each of the audiences who have viewed Category A page AND audiences who have gone to pay confirmation page?

Our website doesn't have indidivdual pay confirm landing pages for each category, which means that both Category A and Category B buyers end up in the same pay confirmation page. In this case, if I set up audience group as I said just now, then I will get existing buyers from maybe other categories, coz one buyer could view mutiple pages at one time and end up at the same pay confirm page, right? Then how could I target existing customers for a specific category?

Smart piexl has rule based audiences we could set up, so is there rules I can make to seperate buyers from each category?

Thanks!
Phoebe

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"each of the audiences who have viewed Category A page AND audiences who have gone to pay confirmation page?"

For this task you can simply choose the following rule :

basic-audience-exclusion.png

Another method with a combination list is to use 

AND "none of these audiences" .....(in here select the audience "who have gone to pay confirmation page" )

Let's say that your "viewed Category A" has 1000 people and "who have gone to pay confirmation page" is 100 people, after setting up this custom combination you should check if the new audience has 900 people, this is the key information to check.

The resulting audience should be smaller than the "viewed Category A" audience because you are applying an exclusion, you are removing a slice from it.

--------------------------

"then I will get existing buyers from maybe other categories, coz one buyer could view mutiple pages at one time and end up at the same pay confirm page, right? Then how could I target existing customers for a specific category?"

Yes with google analytics you can define an audience with the sequence 

Step1 : Page - contains - Category A URL

Step2 : Page - does not contain - Category B URL

Step3 : Page - does not contain - Category C URL

Step x  : Page - is - Thank you page URL

The problem here is that the user must have navigated only in the Category A. Otherwise make category Thank you pages.

Steps cann occur in any order.

sequence-audience.png

Probably other forum members have a better guidance to offer, so let's see what they want to share.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

I didn't quite get what you mean in combine audience list for "each of the audiences who have viewed Category A page AND audiences who have gone to pay confirmation page", in this combination, I am looking for audiences who have viewed Category A page, and at the same time paid for at least one product in Category A.

Have you ever dealt with pname, pcat rule? Actually I don't know what are these used for, but I have found in my audience custom rule set up tabs a lot of strange names, please see the screen shot I got in here:

QQ截图20140312100207.jpg

Among these, there is a "ppc contains" rule which refers to Paid Product Category, I am wondering if this means I already have spereted tags for tracking paid buyer in each category?

In regards with Google analytics and its settings, I have very limited access. So literally I will have to exhaust all possiblities inside AdWords before going for GA settings.

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phoebe Dong
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

For some reason I thought you wanted to target non-converted users, therefore my explanation was aimed at that.

After a more careful readding I understand that you only want to target already converted users.

My opinion : You also have to think of situations where a person buys products from multiple categories. 

How do you clasify these people, since they do not "belong to a product cateogory".

Instead of multiple thank you pages you have to find out if the thank you page URL includes some parameters such as /thank_you_page.php?pcat=1&pcat=2 , meaning a purchase of products from 2 categories. This is not a default setting, a programmer could have implemented these URL tags if you asked him/her to do it in order to apply remarketing to converting users.

Does this make sense ?

Clasification 1 : based on visits of pages

If you use  which is "Visitors of a page who also visited another page". With this rule you can create a set of visitors who visited a certain category , let's call it "pcat_1" (this is short for product category) and who also visited the shopping cart. But there is no guarantee that they didn't also visit some other categories so the result is not what you want, a list of people who had in their shopping cart a product just from a category. 

If you had a page URL variable such as "shopping_cart_includes=pcat1" you could define a rule with the URL containing that string, which would be closer to what you want, meaning that the person had in their shopping cart products from category 1.

Clasification 2 : based on visits of pages from one category, excluding page visits from all other categories

A more complex "custom combination" would be 

1) Visitors of the second page AND

2) Visitors of the category A

AND none of the following audiences

3) Visitors of the category B

x) Visitors of the category x

With this you restrict the audience to people who already navigated only in the category A. and purchased. But you will be losing any of them who in their visit matched pages from other categories, so the resulting set is too small.

pcat - stands for product category

pname - must be a tag for product name

Regarding :

"I am wondering if this means I already have spereted tags for tracking paid buyer in each category?"

It could be true, but for this you have to ask the person who has set up these tags, they are not default.

How are you advertising in AdWords these products, is it through a Product Listing Ads campaign ?

-------------------

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your answers! You did clearify some of the tough questions I encouter in remarketing. I am not doing PLA, the campaigns I am doing now are all normal remarketing campaigns. We used to target non-paid buyers, but now also paid buyers, so I have just built up new campaigns for paid buyers. Now I am waiting to see how they will perform and then optimize them to hit my KPI.