AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing laws in European countries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to set up a remarketing campaign for one of my clients who target customers globally.

Does anyone know which countries I can (or cannot) legally target for remarketing? Or where I can find this information?

I know that Germany have strict laws on this.

Any would be much appreciated.

Liz

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liz F
September 2015

Re: Remarketing laws in European countries

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I don't think this would be an issue since you are not actually collecting any dta - if anyone is - it's Google and you don't have access to it.

If, on the other hand, you were building a custom audience in Facebook and using email addresses which you had gathered in some way, this may well fall foul of privacy laws in certain countries - especially if the emails were not gathered for the express purpose of remarketing.

But with Google remarketing custody of the list lies with Google....

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Liz,

I'm not aware of any country specific policy for remarketing. However, remarketing isn't allowed for businesses collecting personally identifiable info and a few businesses that fall under sensitive categories. Other than that, you'll have to ensure the site's privacy policy mentions the use of cookies and its purposes. Read more about the policy here.

Hope that helps!

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I am not familiar with any restriction within the EU, beyond the strict guidelines already imposed by Google. i.e. You cannot run a Remarketing campaign, which might reveal health condition, sexual orientation or specific knowledge of the user's background (e.g. Criminal records)

Thus, if a user needed  a knee surgery, and visited an orthopedic surgeon website - you would not be allowed to target the user through a  Remarketing campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much for your comments.

I just did the Google Adwords Certification and the trainer said it was very important to look at the privacy laws within each specific European country - as for example Germany are very strict and there may be penalties for collecting any type of personal data.

I'll read through the info at the link you sent me -  thanks Sumanth

It's a tricky one and I'm still not feeling confident about remarketing outside the UK.

I'll contact adwords and see if I can get any further clarification...

In the meantime, other comments welcome!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liz F
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I don't think this would be an issue since you are not actually collecting any dta - if anyone is - it's Google and you don't have access to it.

If, on the other hand, you were building a custom audience in Facebook and using email addresses which you had gathered in some way, this may well fall foul of privacy laws in certain countries - especially if the emails were not gathered for the express purpose of remarketing.

But with Google remarketing custody of the list lies with Google....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much for your reply Stickleback!