AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing in an email

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering has anyone ever put retargeting code into the body of a html email? And what were the results? I'd like to try it out but am a bit worried that it wont work?

Thanks

Emma

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing in an email

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi EmmasPPC, how were you thinking of using it?  It would be relatively simple to create a Remarketing list (via Analytics) from visitors who were the result of clicks on links in an email, but I'm not sure what value there would be in creating a list from people who merely received one.  I'd also be concerned that building a list in such a way might be a breach of privacy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Remarketing in an email

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi EmmasPPC,

I don't think that will work, at the very best it will spotty. Remarketing code depends on 3rd party cookies, in this case the cookie goes to Google. When a use goes to a site where AdSense is displayed, it sends a cookie to Google with the request for the script that produces the ads.

I am not certain, but I don't think email will set that cookie. It's possible that using a combination of Thunderbird and Firefox, or similar sets of email/browser where the email program uses the same rendering engine as the browser, that a cookie could be set. But if a person uses Outlook for email and Firefox (or Chrome or anything other than IE), the cookie certainly will not be set. That's why I say at best it will be spotty. At the worst it won;'t work at all.

I agree with Jon on this. Even if it does work (mechanically), I wonder about your goals with this.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords